Costa Concordia

Well quite, especially when in the case of that oil platform the likes of Greenpeace lied about how much oil was left in it. And they overlook that there are 1100 U-boats and 10,000 sunken ships littering up the ocean floor from two world wars, not causing any significant pollution.

Reply to
Tim Streater

right in the teeny small print of the puff article from Bellona it says they think there are some radiocative materials aboard.

Presumably as and added incentive to be awarded the salvage contract.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Surely car body filler?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Ah but would the shipping be full of nasty oil (other than lube oils) or coal?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

No, that is not how environmentalists make their money. BELLONA and Petter Stordalen is making money from becquerels by inviting journalists to their shows:

Petter A. Stordalen first made his mark as an environmentalist in

Reply to
Jo Stein

The subs surely would

tim

Reply to
tim.....

Yes, that's why I said "shipping". The U Boats would have diesel as fuel.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I'm afraid it's been delayed. Docking won't take place for some time.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

That is an opinion I have made similar comments about to various acqaintances over the years . However I do remember as a small child in the 1950's that the frequent trips to the seaside to places on the Sussex coast like Winchelsea were almost always accompanied by an instance of getting "Tar" as mother called it on oneself. The beach had globs of it all over the place,Mother had a tin of Quickies which must have one of the first Wet wipe style products available to deal with it. The Tar was mainly heavy fuel oil which as most will know is fairly thick and sticky at cool tempratures, a lot would have been from ships not being too careful with their bunkers, something that would attract large fines now but a good proportion may have still been coming from wartime sinkings and damage. It seemed a lot less by the mid 1960's and I think ships could still wash bunkers etc out then.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

Yes. Bunker oil Some at least.

Subs would be diesel of course.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

What else do you ship in wartime? Rubber ducks?

Reply to
Tim Streater

I had to post this again because of some bad spelling. The following is added to be included in the english version of Wikipedia:

-- jo Frederic Hauge stinks ... he is a smoker! ©

Reply to
Jo Stein

That was more than a few fillings or broken fluorescents!

Reply to
polygonum

They've got Peter Parry on speeddial.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Yes, I recall that from the same time.

Good point - it certainly became much reduced and is now a subject of comment when it happens. It was actually such a commonplace occurence that nobody thought twice about it. Bunker oil from sunken ships - now that's a weird thought, isn't it? The Arizona is still weeping oil drops...

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Jo Stein wrote: [snip]

Bwhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha the utter f****it. He protested about disposal of technetium-99?

Technetium-99 has a half life of six hours.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Mmmm, according to Winky that's Technetium-99m you're thinking of, and yes, that's essentially harmless and is used in nuclear medicine. Technetium-99 itself has a half-life of 211,000 years but seems to be safe enough as long as you don't ingest it.

Reply to
Tim Streater

No, that was later.

Andy