Cost of new lecy supply to garage

How much would it cost to have 'lecy board fit a new supply to my garage? I could run one from my house but the garage is on the other side of the lane and I'd have to dig up the road to put one across to my garage!

steve

Reply to
r.p.mcmurphy

Err, wouldn't it be best to ask them for some indication of the cost?

Reply to
The Wanderer

Depends, but I suspect at a minimum about =A3350 in the old Manweb area,=20 depending on where the nearest main is, whether there is sufficient=20 spare capacity on the main etc.

What size supply are you looking for ? 1ph / 3ph ?

--=20 Please add the word "newsgroup" in the subject line of personal emails

**** My email address includes "ngspamtrap" and "@btinternet.com" ****
Reply to
Colin Wilson

1ph, just for lighting and a few occasional use sockets (battery chargers) and an alarm.

steve

Reply to
r.p.mcmurphy

........Well....yes. But its sunday and i dont suppose they're open for enquireis.

steve

Reply to
r.p.mcmurphy

================ It could be very expensive judging by the costs quoted by Central Networks. Their prices for single phase are £373 / 409 / 560 for 'Mural', 'Underground' and 'Span' respectively. I don't know what 'span' is but it looks like something to be avoided!

Additionally there is a 'trenching' cost if required - £23 / 45 / 67 per metre in turf, concrete and 'other' respectively.

It might be more economical to buy a generator, for the kind of use you're contemplating.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

cost?

In the LEB (as was) area I'm being charged £610 by EDF to run 100amp 3 phase cable then a further £610 to fit co fuses and meters and connect to dist board - and this is to re-instate a supply that they cut off following a fire at the end of April - the stub of cable is there staring at me in a big hole! This incidently doesn't cover the trenching and laying of a duct for them to pull the cable through. Luckly it's covered by my insurance.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

We-ell, in this day and age they probably are, although they would only be able to give you outline costs

In reality, all that you'll acheive by asking a the question here is to get a variety of opinions[1], none of which will really leave you any the wiser, except perhaps that it'll probably be a lot dearer than you had hoped.

[1] Some of them well-informed[2], it's true, but in the end it's still the company that'll tell you what the cost to you is going to be, not someone off this NG [2] I was in the ESI for 35 years and for several of those years prepared quiotations for supply, but I wouldn't dream of trying to give a price without some idea of what was involved. It could range from a few hundreds to several thousands of pounds.

Things to think about! You said 'across the lane'. Is that a public road? Is it tarmacadam suface or unmade track? Do you own the land on which the garage is situated? Does the garage belong to you, or are you renting it? Are the mains overhead or underground? If it's a private road, there may be wayleaves required or an agreement with the street manager.

The only thing you can say with any certainty is that it'll cost you, lots. Ah, all those poor deluded people who thought everything electrical would get cheaper after privatisation brought in competition.....

Reply to
The Wanderer

I`d query their attempt to justify the cost by breaking it down into=20 cable laying and termination. If you only paid half, would they be happy=20 to leave live tails ?

Metering is provided free AFAIK, and is a completely seperate matter to=20 the provision of the supply it sits on top of.

They`re under obligation to render an unsafe supply safe. Yes, its a=20 bitch, but the regs are the regs...

--=20 Please add the word "newsgroup" in the subject line of personal emails

**** My email address includes "ngspamtrap" and "@btinternet.com" ****
Reply to
Colin Wilson

Could be that the meter was destroyed, so they're charging for a replacement, although the identical costs for each part of the job does seem a bit too obvious. I suspect someone at EDF has applied rule-of-thumb guestimating techniques.....

Reply to
The Wanderer

matter to

rule-of-thumb

As it is my landlords responsibility to provide the supply under my (commercial) lease, it is his insurance company / assessor / building contractor that's doing the negotiations and the poor chap is tearing his hair out. It's taken over 4 months for them to fix a date to pull cables (it's TODAY!!!) and tomorrow the new co fuses & meters go in. The seat of the fire was on the floor under the old meters & fuses and EDF were amazingly quick to slice off the internal end of the cable and remove all their totally destroyed head and meters - I think that they wanted the evidence off site! Load at the time of the fire (4 am ) was only the fluorescent light we leave on at night so burglars don't trip up and hurt themselves. Meanwhile said contractor has had to totally gut and rebuild the shop shell and refit blagging electricity off a neighbour.

Supply & metering are both EDF.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson