corrugated asbestos garage roof, how to spread my weight?

Well I'm going to assume that you aren't asking for evidence of the lack of man-carrying strength, so it must be the cancer risk :)

So.. a link or two...

's interesting as a Canadian study specifically stating that the (US Government) EPA estimates for the risks are at least 10 times too high.

And there's a nice summary here:

Andy Champ

Sorry - only just managed to plonk myself in front of the PC. Was finishing part of the garage conversion yesterday - spraying the walls with a fire-retardant mix of asbestos. ;-) Oh - OK - painting it with Dulux emulsion! Anyway - thanks for these links.

Haven't read them properly yet - though a brief look at the first one shows me two things that I immediately find questionable:

- the study was limited to women, to eliminate workers in the asbestos industry - [JW] so it would likely also eliminate anyone doing DIY asbestos removal too? Surely factors like DIY working with the stuff should be taken into account in any environmental assessment, as that's day-to-day usage?

- The results of this study are reassuring with respect to lung cancer, but there were significant excess numbers of deaths due to pleural cancer (seven deaths) and asbestosis (two deaths). The instances of pleural cancer suggest an excess risk of mesothelioma. However, since historical death certificates reflect the incidence of mesothelioma poorly we have launched a separate study based on a province-wide survey of hospital records.

On the second article, much of the summarising at the end simply sounds like the "yes, we as the asbestos industry know that blue asbestos is really bad, and so by getting rid of that, we have cleaned up the industry".

I haven't scoured each article properly, as I said, and so I haven't found evidence of "_all_ types were banned is so that someone could make a quick buck".

JW

Reply to
John Whitworth

Paint in the garage? Isn't that a fire haz... oh. conversion _from_ a garage?

I haven't found evidence of white asbestos being a significant risk outside some production facilities - and even then it looks as though contamination with other types may be involved. Certainly smoking is strongly linked.

I guess it depends whether you want to be precautionary safe and ban everything that isn't proved safe, or ban only things that are proved dangerous.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

Then look harder. Claiming there's _no_ risk is farcical.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

I absolutely agree. Who said there was no risk?

Links to papers showing a risk from _white_ asbestos _outside_ production would be appreciated.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

I have successfully cleaned (moss) corrugated grage roof few times, if still interested please email (Jim)

Reply to
shaikh.e

go on then - how much?

Jim K

Reply to
JimK

I have an asbestos roof. How much to sandblast?

Reply to
Tim Watts

Pressure washer is better.

Reply to
harryagain

its an old post BUT...NEVER EVER JETWASH AN ASBESTOS ROOF. YOU WILL RELEASE ASBESTOS FIBRES!! TAKE ALOOK AT

at their cleaning system!

Reply to
sales

I wire brushed mine. At 8:30am when all the schoolkids were walking by. Was I wrong?

Reply to
Tim Watts

Did you have PPE on?

Reply to
dennis

No. I was doing aerobics in a leotard barefoot at the time so was inhaling quite heavily. Made a boring job go much quicker.

Reply to
Tim Watts

.. and chain smoking Malboroughs

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Of course...

I used to put my pastie down on the roof in the sun - used to warm it up nicely....

Reply to
Tim Watts

I fell through a flat asbestos roof as a boy. Ripped a nice gash in the bac k of my thigh. As I was laying face down on the operating table having it rep aired I kept complaining about a pain in my foot. Finally to shut me up the surgeon told me to roll over while he examined it, a small cut in the top of my foot. 'Thats only a small cut. Nothing to worry about " but to stop m e whinging he put a few stitches in it. Stitched a piece of asbestos into i t. For a few years I had a strange bump there and then it started to get so re. Back to the hospital. It had turned gangrenous. Had to have it cut out.

I suppose if that happened today solicitors and barristers would have a fie ld day but in those days the concept of an 'accident' still existed

Reply to
fred

do not use a pressure washer!

Reply to
Greig Adams

use bleach to kill the moss

Reply to
Greig Adams

  • 1 Using a decent news reader could avoid answering 10 years old messages.
Reply to
bilou

If the OP wasn't so long ago, I'd suggest putting a ladder flat across the roof and a plank onto that.

But he's probably died of mesothelioma by now...

Reply to
Chris Hogg