corrugated asbestos garage roof, how to spread my weight?

strewth....so? if the thickies have got this far and can even half understand the meaning of the words, then your concerns will be unnecessary! won't they?

If they still want to do it then they will, it's their call. The world's full of chancers, apparently..;>)

IMHO discussing it (from time to time..) is only going to have a

*positive* effect all around. What's the alternative? live by the bible on a flat earth ??

Cheers Jimk

Reply to
JimK

Um...wasn't the fact that asbestos kept being sold so that Turner & Newall, Cape Asbestos etc, could all keep making a quick buck. From what I now understand, asbestos was being sold into so many different applications, and it was downright unnecessary. And certainly not as beneficial as was made out. It's fireproof, chemical proof 'magic' properties were not as unique as the propaganda and advertising portrayed.

Now continuing to sell asbestos to developing countries whilst desperately removing it from your own buildings (Quebec, Canada - selling to India) is rather hypocritical, and again, making a fast buck!

JW

Reply to
John Whitworth

Should have asked in the last post - can you provide that evidence please? I would be interested to see it. Brown and blue asbestos were banned for UK import in 1985 to my knowledge, with white being banned in 1999, under an EU-wide directive. Labour had promised to do it upon election, but apparently Canadian opposition and lawsuits were too much for any one country to take on.

JW

Reply to
John Whitworth

A Fellow of the Institute of Roofing.

Fellow is the highest grade of professional qualification. The Institute of Roofing has a web site here:

Bruce

Undoubtedly discussing it does educate people. But still there will be those who claim it's all overhyped.

I wonder if a lot of those people who really don't think there is an issue would fancy sanding their asbestos roof, collecting the fibres up into a bag, and then inhaling them. If they are so sure it's nonsense, then it should be nothing to them.

What annoys me, is that the advice given a lot of the time is clearly ridiculous (to dispose, smash it all up under a compactor and concrete over it!!). There are cheap ways to do all of this - i.e. wetting the stuff - yet still people have to know better, and just start scratching away at the stuff. Now that's fine if you want to set up some great big sealed tent around your garage, and get a lungful yourselves, but what about all of those around you?

Anyway - nuff said. I know what I'd do if I wanted to get shot of some A.C. roofing.

And Magic Mineral to Killer Dust is a cracking read by the way! :-)

JW

Reply to
John Whitworth

mmm FIoR - another "stickers on vans" organisation with dizzyingly onerous (sic) qualifications needed :>)))

" Or (i) have served as a Member of the Institute for 5 years and have a minimum of 15 years in industry of which 5 years are at the level of senior management. (ii) submit an upgrade application form, sponsored by two Fellows together with a detailed curriculum vitae showing evidence of competence, knowledge and senior management experience"

(plus =A399+VAT a year subs)

JimK

Reply to
JimK

Cars are easier to spot before they kill you

Reply to
Invisible Man

How old were the sheets? Do it on fairly new stuff and no doubt it would be fine. Mine is maybe 50+ years old, and it'll shed fibres if you shout loudly at it.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

because the family business spent 20 years hauling the stuff around (fireproof flooring and panelling) and I know what the fibres look like under a microscope. I have 2000 sq ft of asbestos cement roofing board (20 years old and 50+ years old) above the sheds, and it's best not to ask what I've got squirrelled away inside them, but I can tell you that I'm not worried about it catching alight...

Reply to
Andy Dingley

But have you tried with witches?

Reply to
Andy Dingley

You should see what I'm making in my shed at the moment....

I've already got an Arduino, a purple laser, uranium, arsenical bronze and fluorides into it. Now I'm just trying to find a reason for high power RF transistors so I have an excuse to use a bit of beryllium oxide too...

Reply to
Andy Dingley

that must be some microscope?!

JimK

Reply to
JimK

so you've scraped multiple assorted large asbestos roofs using various methods, been exposed to commercial quantities of doomed products - and you're still here!!

who says we're being blase!

cheers JimK

Reply to
JimK

:-)

The issue is really down to what happens when the squirreled away stuff catches fire and the roof scatters itself downwind due to steam

*exploding* the cement fibre.

Elfin safety field day!

Whenever the opportunity has arisen, I have replaced my big six roofing with the post 1995 version or insulated steel sandwich.

Currently down to one small shed and the roof over a timber store.

For employers, the control of asbestos at work regulations 2002 imposes a duty to manage the stuff in non domestic premises.

I have a plan:-)

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Smokers don't ever think they will get lung cancer either, it doesn't mean they don't. Its a known risk that is easy to avoid, like looking before crossing the road.

Reply to
dennis

Not at all. It's like any of the similar minerals: the fact that the smallest size for the fibres is getting too hard to see (and they're the hazardous ones) doesn't mean that a typical sample isn't going to contain a range of sizes, and there's plenty that's recognisably distinctive well within the visible range.

Really though, the trick is just to wash the organics out with a bit of chemistry and look at the minerals in isolation.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

On Mar 4, 8:29=A0pm, "John Whitworth"

That because in the context of asbestos roofing it *is* overhyped.

Don't be so fecking stupid. Would you run out in front of the traffic on a busy road, or would you take sensible precautions?

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

No, Cant get hold of dennis or Dr D.

Reply to
<me9

Absolutely. But I can't recall anyone mentioning getting a suitable mask for use when scraping away at this stuff? Wouldn't that be a sensible precaution? The way a lof of you discuss this, infers that you can just scrape away at it, and let it disperse in the air. Yes, my comment was stupid - but at least it provoked the 'precautions' response.

Reply to
John Whitworth

I wouldn't do that with the dust from my vacuum, which is largely my skin. Or flour, or anything else for that matter. Even if it doesn't carry a cancer risk it's pretty unpleasant.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ