Corroded pipe in wall

I am preparing to do some reparing to the plasterwork of my daughter's house. She has stripped off the wallpaper and this has pulled off some of the worst plaster. It has exposed a very rusty pipe near to the fireplace.

Can anyone suggest how I can check (or have it checked) to ensure it isn't still connected to the gas supply. Tracing the pipe would be tricky as it would mean lifting floor to find it.

Suggestions please.

Reply to
john

If it's rusty, then chances are it's an old wiring pipe not a gas pipe? Old gas pipes where of the lead type.

anyway just replaster over it, wouldn't do any harm.

Reply to
ben

No - in my London Victorian house when I bought it all the original gas pipes were iron barrel and they were everywhere. And some live, some disconnected.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Back to the original question - is there a way it can be checked without trying to uncover its route? I guess I could turn off the gass, cut the pipe and then turn the gas back on to see what happens.

Would it be worth calling out Transco - would they have a way of checking?

Reply to
john

I've no idea how the gas pros do it. I imagine a screw sized hole a lot easier to seal than a cut end though. Gloop, washer, screw.

NT

Reply to
bigcat