Core drilling

Had to fit a fan t'other day, 4" hole in brickwork.

Not engineering bricks, but piggin hard. Progress was slow.

After the core drill had cut a circle about a 1/4" deep, I decided to chain drill around it with a 5mm SDS.

Speeded up the core drilling no end, at least twice as fast, maybe more.

Worth a try.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Sounds like it needed help clearing the dust which the holes have it.

TCT core bits on hammer can be quite a lot faster than pure diamond cores too - but destructive if you leave the hammer on on the last inch.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Nest step would have been dynamite then... Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Useful tip for my next bank job, thanks :)

Reply to
Adrian C

Yes, that works well. I always do it except for very soft masonry. A few years back we had this horrible job where we needed to get a bunch of cables through six walls in a jail. The walls were cast concrete. We wore out a lot of drills but we managed it.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

A lot of the early C.20 houses in my area were built of bricks made from local clay with a high iron content, which makes them hard to drill or cut neatly --- sometimes just difficult to cut, sometimes random bits fall out in the middle of the job. (I've also seen sparks fly out of them while I was chiselling.) The bricks are red on the outside but often have brown bits inside.

Reply to
Adam Funk