Cordless doorbells outdone....

I once drove 50 miles to Wimbledon, tennis, to a TV scanner after a similar conversation. I found that the customer had added an extra 4 way multiblock to the set up, one with a switch on it. I explained to him how the switch worked and drove 50 miles back again.

Reply to
Bill

Two of us drove 65 miles to London,, to Arthur Andersen, and a BT engineer did the same, wasted 4 hours while the customer faffed about and the BT engineer finally discovered the IDSN line that was strung up and over the door of a steel cabinet that had cut through the insulation.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I can have my time wasted more than that.

A couple of months ago I had to drop the job I was doing and I had to drive

100 miles north to swap a broken hand drier in a gents toilets (contract work and we have to turn up when required).

I spoke to the manager and he showed me the faulty hand drier. I asked him why the job could not wait (ie allow someone to arrive there for 8am in the morning do the work instead of driving there in work time) as there were two hand driers and the other one still worked. He claimed it was H&S, went for a piss and then never even bothered to wash his hands or use the working hand drier.

It would still have been a 200 round trip, but at least I could have done the outwards journey when there was no traffic.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

You should have reported him to his manager for H&S.

And that's somewhere you won't accept a cuppa in future.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Best to to just get paid. Their money.

I was not offered a brew.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

That's a more serious H&S violation!

You don't get these serious technical problems where they provide paper towels like civilized people...

Reply to
Adam Funk

He never washed his hands!

Reply to
ARWadsworth

That's what I meant by "a more serious H&S violation"!

My second point was that if they'd provided paper towel dispensers, at least in addition to electric dyers, then they wouldn't have needed to pay for an emergency call-out to fix the hand drier.

(As far as I'm concerned, employers, architects, &c, who provide electric driers without paper towel alternatives should be forced to use the stupid things at home.)

Reply to
Adam Funk

NHS facilities provide paper hand towels. They do so because they are trying to stop infection. Hand driers spread infection. High speed hand driers spread more.

Reply to
dennis

Not if you have clean hands.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Which only helps if the patients AND staff wash their hands. My wife works for the NHS and whenever she uses the toilets at work, she then exits the cubicle, washes her hands, dries them, uses another paper towel to turn the tap off and another to open the doors on the way back to her office, where she drops the towel into her deskside bin - she's seen far too many staff exit the cubicles and then leave without washing their hands!

SteveW

Reply to
SteveW

*grin*

I once got a bollocking for fixing a problem in Dusseldorf in about 45 minutes, having flown there after spending 2 days on the 'phone with the local IT manager. This was in the days before remote access.

Reply to
Huge

And then go straight to the coffee machine ...

Reply to
Huge

That is a load of old bollox promoted by paper towel manufacturers.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Trials last year showed that washing your hands and drying them on either paper towels or a continuous loop cotton towel reduced the bacterial count on hands by 45%-60%. Warm air hand driers, on average, increased the count by 225%.

The nice warm interior of a hand drier in the relatively moist environment of a toilet is an ideal breeding ground for bacteria. Fortunately, they are normally ones our immune systems can deal with, but not always, and a hospital is a good place to find both highly potent bacteria and lowered immunity.

The big advantage of warm air hand driers is not improved hygiene - they can spread bacteria up to half a metre from the machine (2m for the high powered jet dryers) - but lowered cost of maintaining the toilet facilities. I use paper towels whenever they are provided.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Funded by the European Tissue Symposium....

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

the big problem with hot air dryers is they heat up the room which amplifies the 'pong'. Lots of air changes are needed.

Reply to
charles

The studies funded by the hand-drier makers all compared bacteria on hands dried *thoroughly* with hand-driers against hands dried with paper towels, and they did *not* investigate bacteria spread around the room.

How many people are inclined to spend the time it takes to dry their hands thoroughly with those awful machines? You only need to look at the typical provision of them to see that the installers know they will go underused (example from my office: 3 toilets, 3 urinals, 4 sinks, 1 hand-drier). And then there's the noise pollution (especially from the fast Dyson ones). Would you use a hand-drier in your house?

Reply to
Adam Funk

Has anyone done any studies to see if you would be better of just NOT washing your hands after a pee? Seems like you're more likely to pick up someone else's faecal contaminant through contact with taps etc.

Tim

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

That does not make the findings wrong, although it may affect the way in which the tests are run. Each side will choose the methods that give them the best chances of seeing the results that suit them. The hand dryer manufacturers test in a laboratory, while the tests I refer to were real life tests on units in use in toilets. The results are entirely consistent with those I obtained from bioburden testing when I ran a clean room.

Reply to
Nightjar