Copper colour paint for cast iron rads?

Does anyone know where i can get some paint for my new cast iron radiators in a realistic burnished copper colour?

Hameright had a copper but im not sure it will be ok for radiators, nor whether its is a decent finish.

Any advice welcomed!

Steve

Reply to
R.P.McMurphy

I used a can of Plasti-Kote bronze spray once. Not bad finish. Dunno about the heat tho.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I've used (Black) Hammerite for heat pipes and radiators, it worked OK and looked good. Didn't seem to have a problem with the heat but wasn't in a 'high traffic' area. Money saving note: use petrol for a brush cleaner.

Slatts

Reply to
Sla#s

Does anyone actually still clean brushes? I just throw them out after a single use. Reasonably good brushes are now widely available very cheaply.

Reply to
Grunff

Further money saving note: use a petrel for a brush.

:-)

DG

Reply to
Derek ^

Not the folded aluminium disposables, but I still clean my paint brushes. My varnish brushes are about =A38 each, so you bet I clean them carefully!

Mostly though I store my brushes in a Brushmate, without cleaning them. Wonderful gadget!

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Have you tried using pads for varnish? Since trying it, I haven't brushed varnish at all. Since varnishing is about the only thing I ever do which would otherwise require fine brushes, I can do without them.

Reply to
Grunff

Water-based varnishes, yes. Spirit varnishes, no.

By "varnish" here I very rarely use something that comes in a tin. It's usually a spirit varnish made by dissolving plant resins in alcohol over heat, using a 17th century recipe. These need to be brushed, and they're fussy about the brushes too

If I'm using poly, it's that gel Patina from Screwfix, put on with a cloth.

"Everyday" varnish round here is actually shellac and I put that on with artist's watercolour brushes, left to go hard afterwards and softened next time I use them.

Reply to
Andy Dingley