Copper bathtub

Gimmee plastic any day!. Cold Tin baths of my childhood leave an emotional scar. I shudder at the mere thought. Anyways ... make it 56 foot of sheet at =A31500. Would seem little savings to be made.

Reply to
john

Don't call me Shirley.

Reply to
Bruce

1) Take nice shaped ordinary plastic or fibreglass bath, spread inside with evostick. Apply heavy aluminium foil to inside, carefully lapping and stretching to get as flat are possible. Make sure foil laps over the edge. 2) fill bath with copper sulphate solution.

3) Suspend large lumps of copper metal in the solution (may need to play around with positions to get an even coat)

4) Connect lumps of copper (anode) and foil at top of bath (cathode) to a f***ing big low voltage DC power source

5) turn on and wait a few days. Replace copper lumps as necessary.

6) empty bath, remove plastic outside (heat?, set it on fire...)

7) burnish to a gleaming finish :-)

Dave

Reply to
Dave Tyson

Bollocks to that, there's no way I can TIG weld copper. Stuff's worse than aluminium for thermal conductivity. Titanium? piece of cake.

I did once have the privilege of watching one of Barrow's finest welding up a crack in a steam loco firebox. Freehand stick, and an artist at work. Also the reflected glare within the firebox was enough to give him a bad case of arc eye and he was bumping into furniture in the pub afterwards, whilst complaining of the old sandy eyeballs.

Being a shipyard sort of chap (and myself an ignorant wee twerp), no- one thought to point out that British loco fireboxes were made of a particular grade of arsenical copper, and it really hadn't been a good idea.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

I had already discussed electroforming it, but decided not to.

This is a mate's work(sic):

is clearly harder than it looks. Mine has been crap so far.

Back in 1900-something, they (several makers used to put the waterjackets onto aero engines by electroforming them in situ, Beautiful work, but I'm damned if I can get a decent copper deposit these days without it turning skanky.

f***ing big low voltage

Got one of those. Take a rusty narrowboat and a PDP-16 PSU, then use it for electrolytic de-rusting. Sadly they wouldn't let me carry this rig (which performed beautifully) the mere 100 yards and attach it to the Great Britain...

Reply to
Andy Dingley

PDP-11, obviously.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Reply to
Adrian C

"Andy Dingley" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@m25g2000yqc.googlegroups.com... SMBO wants a copper bathtub, comme ça:

're very nice. They're a couple of grand each (and upwards). wouldn't this be the worst choice on material ? ........... you want a tub that insulates to prevent excess cooling by conduction, copper is one of the best conductors around ....

Reply to
Rick Hughes

And I'd be very wary of the nickel finish. Given the number of people who suffer some sort of nickel allergy the idea of bathing in a nickel bathtub does not seem to be the best ever.

Reply to
Rod

Indeed he is!

Do you do this for a living Andy?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

No, because when I did it, it wasn't a living. There are clients with taste and clients with money, but it's rare to find that the people with the interesting ideas who you want to work for can afford it. So now I have a soul-destroying office job in IT for retail finance; with the social worth of tetanus, but I can at least afford to buy roofing materials.

Haven't really made anything on two years anyway: workshop roof fell in, Mum died, Dad's ill, moved house. Of late I've been a bit busier, but it's still all about building bits of workshop, rather than using them. Website is long out of date though. When I do make stuff, it's now tending to be steampunk. There are a dozen walking sticks in production at the moment, and they don't all have frickin' lasers in them.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

On Sun, 24 Jan 2010 14:29:39 -0800, Andy Dingley wibbled:

You have my deepest sympathies. Had a few recent years of very similar plus 2 new sprogs with interesting A&E type allergies[1]. Rather knocks the stuffing out of you...

[1] Though the sprogs themselves are well worth it - especially now they're trained :)
Reply to
Tim Watts