Continuity checker - where to buy?

I have a continuity checker which consists of a lamp, a battery, a crocodile clip and a sharp pointer which can detect a break in the line with no voltage in the circuit. I have had mine for years but cannot trace where I bought it. I want to buy one for a friend who is a model railway enthusiast and it would be very helpful to him to be able to detect which rail is faulty in a large circuit with numerous rails joined together. Any suggestions? Blair

Reply to
Blair

Just buy any cheap multimeter which claims a continuity tester buzzer. Should only cost a couple of quid, and you get a fully featured multimeter thrown in. The buzzer is better than a bulb. You don't have to look, and brief continuity is indicated better than a slowly warming bulb.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Thanks for you help. I've certainly learnt a lot from your message- I had no idea that a multimeter had this facility. Unfortunately in my case when I looked my multimeter does not have this facility and it cost me £17.50! I looked up Squires tool catalogue and they have one for £8.95 which includes a continuity facility. I also noticed in their catalogue there was a Digital Multi-function tester that looks like a screwdriver and allows checking without dismantling or having any contact with live parts. Applications include "break point" in wiring, continuity testing, etc Price £4.95 What do you think of that one? Thanks again Blair

Reply to
Blair

You need to set it to measure resistance. If there's no connection it will be infinite. Otherwise it should display a low number.

alex.

Reply to
Alex

A proper continuity tester function is leagues better, though. The beep means you don't need to look at the screen.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Thanks for your help, I.m learning a lot! In my case when I read resistance on a continuous rail I get 0 but if there is a break I get 1. I had assumed that infinite would be a very large number or am I wrong? Blair

Reply to
Blair

On many digital multimeters, it reads '1' to indicate infinite, often with a flashing symbol or other indication. Real 1 would be displayed "1.00", which doesn't mean infinite.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Thanks Christian. Blair

Reply to
Blair

You'll get a multimeter from Maplin etc for a couple of quid that will include a continuity buzzer good enough for a go/no go situation.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Indeed, and this one in particular at =A33.99 will be more than up to the job, and more besides:

Mathew J. Newton

If you've a maplin store nearby then something like:

do you. I picked up a cheap meter that I tend to have kicking about for under 3 quid a few months back. Checking it against a fluke it's surprisingly accurate!

Darren

Reply to
dmc