Consumer box layout

Just prior to Part P becoming active, I updated my 1960s fuse box to a split-load MCB consumer unit. I was happy that the existing wiring was still serviceable, so decided to simply route it to the new consumer unit, and then add additional cabling as required for new circuits. However, due to length restrictions on the original cables (including the meter tails), it was not possible to get all of them to reach to the appropriate positions in the new consumer unit. I did not want to splice on additional lengths (at least not for 6mm and larger cables), so the fix I adopted was to re-arrange the layout of the consumer box such that the Incomer was to the right of the split-load RCD. In other words, looking at the face of the consumer unit, the split load RCD is on the left hand side, and the Incomer is approximately in the middle. I obviously also re-arranged and re-connected all the manufacturer-supplied interconnecting cables within the consumer box to suit. A friend I mentioned this to recently said that he thought it was unnacceptable, as it was a "non standard" configuration. That led me to check again in BS 7671 (16th Edition) and I can see nothing in there that prohibits my layout. Any views?

CRB

Reply to
crb

Providing you are not misusing any of the CU components and the labelling is clear, there's no problem.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I don't think there *is* a standard layout anyway - different manufacturers have different default layouts.

Reply to
John Rumm

Ask your friend to point you in the direction of the relevant regs!! Should be good for a laugh.

Dave

Reply to
gort

That was good timing :-)

Provided you have followed the CU manufacturer's instructions for assembly and use of the CU, the CU should still comply with the relevant BS, which is all the Wiring Regs requires.

Ensure Main Switch is clearly labelled as such.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

As everyone else has said, its not against regs. It is however sufficiently unusual that a dumb sparkie up the road could get into trouble if he comes across it with his brain in neutral and his brains stuck up his arse, so a BIG sign inside the front detailing what is what is probably worthwhile.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher