Constructing 5m tower to hold satellite dish

successfully

Nor are they the diameter of a telegraph pole either, or just 'planted'. Clue, either the ship moves forwards, backwards or rolls...

A reclaimed pole of

Which is what has to be calculated for, it's not unknown for servier gale force winds to lash almost any part of the UK you know....

and any other structure (suitable for a

Total bi**ocks, it's go nothing to do with a 'domestic environment', if he really needs a mast then he needs to use the correct structure.

If cost wasn't an issue I doubt he would be asking here...

Apart from the fact that it is a 99 percent certainty that he doesn't even need the mast you mean ?

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

============ Rubbish! He's building a structure in his back garden and no reasonable person would build a grossly unsightly skyscraper with a hundred year life expectancy when he can build something more aesthetically pleasing with a shorter life span.

----------

============ Pure guesswork - straight from your imagination. People enjoy DIY - and they ask for information here to do the best job they can.

Again - What was your suggestion - if any?

-------------------

========== He didn't say that he 'needs' to build a mast. He said he 'wants' to build it.

Any *helpful* suggestions from you?

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

It's got nothing to do with the life span of any structure (and no one has mentioned that aspect until now) [1], it has everything to do with any mast being able to do what it asked of it safely.

[1] life span is solely an economics issue. :
Reply to
:::Jerry::::

The main problem I see with using any wooden pole is that it would allow the dish to sway in the wind (like trees). The OP wants to use a 1m dish and at that size would have to be aligned much more accurately than a Sky minidish and would easily loose the signal if it moved even a degree. - the supporting structure has to be rigid. I don't know how the OP decided on the need for a 5m high mast anyway? - the trees must be either very tall or close. It is possible to calculate the height needed by the formula on this site - if the desired elevation angle is known

logized

Most of the ones around here are missing the sails,so are not working !!.

???????

Reply to
Dave Stanton

In article , Michael Chare writes

I presume that you need the satellite to "see" over some obstruction?. A section of lattice aerial mast will do very well for that, but to keep it stable you'll need a cubic metre or two of concrete.

BTW have you asked the planners what they think of the idea as yet?....

Reply to
tony sayer

================= Of course it has to do with lifespan. Anybody building any kind of structure considers the kind of structure against its probable lifespan. Since the OP initially considered using scaffolding poles he is clearly not looking for something very permanent.

:

You call my reply a 'rant'.

You're sadly confused. I took the trouble to reply to the OP's post with a sensible suggestion and I did so courteously. You have still made no suggestion of a solution to the OP's post but you have made disparaging and abusive remarks about contributions made by other people who took the trouble to offer helpful suggestions.

Since you clearly have nothing helpful to add to the discussion you might at least have the basic good manners to refrain from gratuitous abuse. Unfortunately people like you spoil NGs by your pointless sniping in the mistaken belief that you are superior. You're not superior, you're just a grossly ill-mannered brat.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

But this is a DIY project, or are you backtracking on that remark now?...

The *first* consideration with this sort of structure is safety - anyone who can't see that or argues about it if both a fool and a moron. Ability to do what is being asked comes next and then cost, without the first two (safety / usability) the third is totally irrelevant.

Since the OP

Who knows...

No I'm not, perhaps you haven't bothered to read some of the other replies, saying much the same as I have !

I took the trouble to reply to the OP's post with a

Because asking in this group is the wrong place, if the OP *needs* such a mast then he needs to ask people with experience of such structures (not forgetting his local ground / weather conditions), not 'keen know all's' like yourself.

I have not been abusive with the OP, only with people like you who seem to know less than I do but consider themselves superior know all's...

Pot, kettle, black. And you expertise in transmitter / receiver masts is what exactly ?...

Well, I would prefer to be that than a clueless w*inker like your good-self.

Oh, and whilst your finding a clue or two, learn how to post.

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

So were mine in 1975 and again in 1987 ;-(

Reply to
Mark

Just to add, Cicero obviously hasn't been to many horse race courses, or he has never noticed all those 'permanent' towers made out of scaffolding that are used for broadcast / TOT (?) television cameras.

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

On S

Take your point, but quite a few around here have been like this for years. I often thought of using one for my amateur radio aerials.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Stanton

Not so much as you. I've been looking at exactly this from my bedroom window in a nearby garden for the past 12 years.

MJ

Reply to
MJ

Yah right, and pigs fly over it too.

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

Reply to
Capitol

Ask a local scout group to lash you up a temp. tower from pioneering poles and see if it works, if it doesn't you've lost nothing.

for an idea.

Niel, also a Scouter and a ham...

Reply to
Badger

In article , :::Jerry:::: writes

Perhaps the O/P should nip up to Peterbourgh and see if these any scrap left that he could make a serviceable tower out of.

Lets hope a flying piggy doesn't hit that one too.....

Reply to
tony sayer

I work for a company that installs weather stations, we have a number of slightly damaged towers that may be of interest to you.

Please contact me if you are interested.

Regards,

Paul.

Reply to
Paul

You're not in south glos are you? Do you know why they're doing it?

Reply to
Chris Hodges

No - the North East!

The given reason for replacing them is that a large number of them are made from concrete, and a few accidents have been caused by broken posts. Since the design of the head has also been changed (to a "downlighter" from a truncated cone), it was decided to replace the lot. Actually the LA has formed a partnership with Balfour Beatty and formed a new company, who do all the streetlighting maintenance as well as this replacement job.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

I hate to be the spolier of bad news but there is more out there than SKY! About 2,000 channels to be presice and I HAVE a 1.2 meter dish in my garden and I might just BE the one who the other guy says he can see from his garden!

However putting the dish up by 5 meters is NO GOOD you wont get ALL the satellites in the arc because of the fall and tilt at the end (basically)

THANK GOD or whoever that there is someone out there like me who CAN cut the drivel and snipped news and watch what really happens out there!

John

dms1.go-plus.net