Connections to electric towel rail heater

Please can someone provide a view as to the current preferred means of connecting power to the heating lement in a towel rail summer use only

- (heated from CH in winter).

Rail is in a smallish shower room in Zone 3.

Present intention is as follows:

Supply will be a spur of a ring.

to a switch by the door outside in the coridor. (point A)

then to a connection uint near the towel rail (point B)

then flexible heat resisting (immersion heater type) cable to the heating lement.

Help is needed as the optimum for pounts A & B; thoughts are:

At point A: double pole fused switch with red indicator light.

Point B a plain unfused connection unit.

Any views on above configuration gratefully received.

Views on desirability of other options are most welcome; eg using a fused connection unit near the rail and/or putting the red indicator light near the rail.

Oh, and while I'm about it I'll mention Part P. That saves everyone the effort ;-)

TIA

Reply to
ironer

Easy - red to red, black to black, green to the pipes, and blue to f*ck.

Oops sorry - the colours have changed!

:-)

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Nothing wrong with your present intention but remember that the heater needs to be supplementary bonded.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Which can be done to the earth wire in the FCU, without any need for additional bonding wires or clamps etc on the rad.

Reply to
John Rumm

A switched FCU with flex outlet (with or without neon indicator) is perfectly allowable in Zone 3 and in my view preferable since the purpose of the switch is immediately obvious and the point of isolation is nearer the appliance.

Reply to
Andy Wade

You made no mention of an RCD. At some point (possibly at the consumer unit) you should have a 30mA RCD.

These are called "flex outlets".

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

I would also have a switch outside with a neon. Shows if it's on rather more easily.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Or if you want to spent a little more then

fed from a 3 amp fused spur will stop the heater been left by accident.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

//snip//

many thanks for the comments & suggestions.

I like Adam's solution best - put the timer outside & a neon switch-fused connection unit beside the rail. That way the timer can be set to warm towels up ahead of a shower with least effort.

also thanks to Christian for his note about the need for RCD - you can't just hook these units up to a lighting circuit which SFAIUI is sometimes done. Was trying to be fully explicit about the intended circuit but missed that one, though the ring supply is on an RCD.

Reply to
ironer