Condensing Boiler efficency with existing radiators etc...

Perhaps there was confusion with needing to update the controls. You would certainly need to install a thermostat on the cylinder and make it turn off the boiler (boiler interlock). You also need to make it fully pumped.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

It was this sort of statement that used to land IMM in hot water, since it assumes one size fits all and ignores many real world situations.

You assume the cold main can supply that rate - often it can't. You assume that there is no requirement for simultaneous use (i.e. bath + shower or two showers etc), you assume the shower is not of an elaborate body jet or soaker head type that requires high flow rates, you ignore that continously variable temperature output of any instantaneous water heater that has to cope with variable flow demands, you ignore the cases where insufficent capacity reamins on the 60kW rated gas supply. You ignore those users with unreliable water supplies.

Need we go on?

Combis "out of the box"[1] are well suited to some lifestyles and properties - not all.

Just like 640K huh? ;-)

[1] nothing stopping you from using a combi to heat a hot water cylinder if required, and using that for bath filling etc.
Reply to
John Rumm

| Dave Fawthrop wrote: | | > I took into account my atypical requirements and note the abundance of high | > output combi boilers available for those with larger properties and less | > insulation. The SEDBUK list gives 7 boilers at over 40kw, which should | > cover any domestic requirement. | | It was this sort of statement that used to land IMM in hot water, since | it assumes one size fits all and ignores many real world situations. | | You assume the cold main can supply that rate - often it can't. You | assume that there is no requirement for simultaneous use (i.e. bath + | shower or two showers etc), you assume the shower is not of an elaborate | body jet or soaker head type that requires high flow rates, you ignore | that continously variable temperature output of any instantaneous water | heater that has to cope with variable flow demands, you ignore the cases | where insufficent capacity reamins on the 60kW rated gas supply. You | ignore those users with unreliable water supplies.

Your house is an hotel, rather than a home?

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

Even that is an assumption.

Right - which indicates that there is little market for the low end that you thought should be adequate anywhere.

Fine, so if you are happy to wait for 15-20 minutes to fill a bath then this will seem an improvement.

Personally, I don't have that kind of time to waste on this. I can fill mine with at least 20lpm each of cold and hot and have the whole thing ready to go in under 5 minutes.

Because of the spec writing, the rate is actually less than this for the normal 35 degree rise.

Maybe this is acceptable to you. It certainly wouldn't be for me. It's quite easy to achieve at least twice that from a storage system or to drive two showers or a shower and a bath each at at least this rate.

Why would I compromise on this for the sake of a tiny amount of space gain?

Reply to
Andy Hall

I don't accept paying guests if that is what you mean.... so no.

Personally I have a 35kW combi. Selected because it was the best compromise based on my requirements at the time. The performance is just about adequate, but I would certainly not advise anyone to fit a less powerfull one.

However if I had a cold main that could only do 12 lpm it would be a non starter.

As I said there are plenty of other examples of situations where a high output combi certainly won't be "...be enough for anybody...".

Reply to
John Rumm