Computer + Thermocuples & Energy use.

The figure that I have heard quoted is £50 / annum for a desktop PC, but I don't know if that includes a monitor. It was sufficiently high to make me abandon my Linux/Asterisk phone system box which was running 24/7

Reply to
Graham.

BruceB coughed up some electrons that declared:

Mmm. I can see a use for one (or three) of them...

Lust lust lust...

Reply to
Tim S

Huge coughed up some electrons that declared:

Mine's smaller than yours...

:P

Looks cool. Linux too. Bit pricier.

Reply to
Tim S

That sounds like just a base unit, at 50W.

A ball-park figure at the moment of 1W continuous use comes out around £1/year.

I have one doing that, and some other things. It does the whole family (spread across multiple countries). On the basis that my mother is probably involved as one party in the majority of family phone calls, it lives in my parents' house, so they end up paying. OTOH, the £23/year it costs them is about what it saved them on phone calls each week, so I can't see them complaining.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

In message , Tim S writes

Only three? You're not trying hard enough!

Reply to
Clint Sharp

In message , Huge writes

now comes in Dual Core form) and they won't run Windows, you need a decent server in the background for it to work... Besides, they look bloody awful.

Reply to
Clint Sharp

I never understood this obsession with CF adapters when you can get Flash IDE disk modules that plug right in:

've been using these for a few years now.

Gordon

Reply to
Gordon Henderson

Gordon Henderson coughed up some electrons that declared:

In my day (2003 ish) all we had was CF-IDE adaptors :(

None of this new fangled stuff.

But it's a good point.

Reply to
Tim S

it requires a power cycle, but on my rack mounted system it's a lot easier just to pull the CF card out of the slot in the front and replace it with a 'new' one...

Reply to
Bob Eager

on 11/05/2009, Donwill supposed :

Another way would be to use battery operated temperature loggers and plug them into your PC to download their stored data. No need for the PC to be on at all then, except to download.

Alternative II.. You can buy weather stations able to record and store internal and external temperatures for £60 - again you can download the stored data when it suites, doesn't cover your other items though.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Why use a computer..... 24/7 apart from the fact that yuo have a measuring device ;-)

Here's a USB device that will log temperature without needing a computer. Sure after a time you'll need to startup the PC to download the data.

"The instrument will record over 32,000 readings at a rate of between 1 second and 12 hours and, when downloaded, data can be graphed, printed and exported to other applications via the supplied purpose designed software."

Handy for recording in difficult to get to places like sheds, lofts over a long period of time. You could even tape it to a pipe.

about £47

whisky-dave

Thanks for that, Unfortunately I need more than one channel, my present set up records 8 channels, does graphs etc etc Regards Don

Reply to
Donwill

So just buy 8 of 'em. B-)

They are stand alone units only needing the USB connection to adjust the= settings and download the logged data. Once the data is on a PC generati= ng graphs should be a POP.

Big snag is 8 at =A340 each is =A3320 you can buy a brand new pretty pow= erful PC for that sort of money. How about an Arduino and 8 "one wire" temperature sensors.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice