Computer question

"Mary Fisher" wrote in news:465c5abd$0$759$ snipped-for-privacy@master.news.zetnet.net:

Just in case it's the sort of thingy you're looking for, try googling on: gantt chart excel

Reply to
Frazer Jolly Goodfellow

As a further refinement - if she was recording, for example, every time she was ravished by 'spouse' then, instead of using a '1' she could use a variable number which reflected the quality of the event.

Reply to
Roger Mills

I had a play with Excel last night and got it to do something but not in the way you suggest - which of course is far superior! I'll give it another go, thanks.

Looking up grouping etc is a bit beyond me a.t.m. but I might jump in with both feet. Nothing ventured nothing gained.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I don't need a graph for that, there wouldn't be enough cells.

If you really want to know (it's boring) it's about a medical condition I have and I want to record incidents as a graph so that I can see if they are increasing or decreasing over time.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Well, if you want to put in a nail you don't make the nail and hammer yourself, do you? :-)

Sorry, I saw it as I hit Send :-(

I keep looking at it myself. Have to to make sure it's up to date. It's just a product list.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

That looks worth reading, thanks.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Mary used the right spelling - what she sees is what she gets :-)

Owain

Reply to
Owain

I assumed that since Spouse had got his plaything on the NHS it would be more than every couple of weeks or so :-)

I did wonder about that... MIN(), MAX() and AVG() might also come in handy then.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Outlook has a timeline view but I don't think it will scale over many months. It works OK with weekly and monthly views. It shows things like when an email/telephone call is received.. when you replied..

I think the excel graph mentioned by Owain is probably the easiest but it still requires you the enter the data.

Reply to
dennis

Sounds like a simple XY series will do what you want then... time on the X axis, and events on the Y.

Two columns in Excel. First one contains the starting date, then either manually enter additional dates under that when you want discrete dates[1], or put in a formula of "=A1+1" (assuming A1 is the cell above), highlight that cell and a bunch of them below and hit CTRL D to duplicate them down if you want a continuous run of days. Stick the number of events in the column beside as and when you have an event to record.

[1] Entering discrete dates will work for event that happen only every so often. A continuous run of them will be better for something that happens at least once a day, but is variable.

(example attached to an email flying your way)

Reply to
John Rumm

It might not be - it might not actually work!

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Oh I think I'm capable of doing that :-)

That is, unless my condition's symptoms become full-time ... :-(

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I look forward to it!

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I think there are some blood pressure trackers kicking about the web in Excel.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

That would make it migraines or pissed then. ;-)

Reply to
dennis

Well, I like to ingratiate myself with some round here :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I don't do either of those.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

That's good, but what I meant was, DW's wysiwyg won't show you what your pages look like in the entire range of browsers, versions, screen sizes, and other settings that your potential customers will be using. If it's just a product list and you keep it simple, it might well be OK, but for anything more complicated you should keep a close eye on the code behind the wysiwyg. DW can help with its "Target Browser Check" report, but you need a decent grasp of HTML and possibly CSS to make good use of the results.

I'm helping a friend get started in web design with Microsoft Expression Web, which also encourages wysiwyg design. His first effort looked great in Expression Web and IE, but you should have seen his face fall when I showed him what it looked like in Firefox. I hope you won't have that problem but it's important to be aware of its existence.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

Nobody's ever complained, in fact we've had a lot of compliments over the years. If there were a problem it would have been pointed out.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Mozilla Sunbird.