Computer controlled wood engraving advice sought

I want to get set up to do some small scale mass production involving engraving of letters and simple 2D graphic emblems.

I had hope to pick the brains of a local business (Maklab) who provided facilities to use their machines but the bastards have gone into liquidation.

So, what sort of hardware, software and skills would I need to do this?

Does anyone know of anywhere in the Glasgow area where I could access the hardware or learn more about it "face to face"?

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

The liquidators might be willing to sell the hardware.

Reply to
Davey

That thought did cross my mind. The premisis still looks to have all the gear in place.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

its doable as a self build, but really see if you cant find a ready made solution e.g.

Normally these things need a dremel type mini-router and small bits to go with them

Usyally they are plug'n'play on windows, but often software to runrhem from other operatring systems is not hard to derive

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Is there a local Makerspace/Hackspace workshop?

Reply to
GB

In message , Tim+ writes

400 miles South of Glasgow but my carpenter tenant has just such a machine to sell.

I think he bought it second hand some years ago so the software is likely to be old hat.

I saw it running a few weeks ago. Not very fast but you don't have to stand and watch:-)

Reply to
Tim Lamb

A CNC router is probably the primary requirement (you might find engraving solutions for less, but they are far more limited in application). Then a vector graphics or drawing program or CAD, and some CAM software to take your "model" and turn it into a cutting path. (there are some web based CAD/CAM solutions that will do all the software bits for you in one go if you prefer).

Reply to
John Rumm

Dunno. Not knowing either of those names hampered my searches. ;-)

I shall check...

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Well that's what I was thinking about but I haven't a clue really about where to start regarding machine types and options which is why I was hoping to find someone to talk to face to face.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Hmm, Dundee or Newcastle...

Shame that. Looks like exactly what I'm looking for. Might have to travel to find out more.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

or similar?

Maybe a small laser cutter if you just want shapes in wood?

Reply to
dennis

autodesk fusion 360 is free for hobby use.

Reply to
dennis

An Undertakers? Some have engravers to make the brass nameplates on coffins. You didn't give a budget but this firm supplies equipment and trainng on it.

No connection, just picked at random.

Or one of the CNC mills of the size used by model engineers, I used to make the odd engraved plate using a CNC Taig , the control software had a text file but it is so long since I sold it it I cannot recal the name, I know it needed a PC with DOS so it was a while ago.

G.Harman

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

Look for your local hackspace. With any luck they will have something like the right kit or something that could be bodged to do it.

Sounds like you want a 3 axis motion control and a small tough drill/milling machine.

Reply to
Martin Brown

Yep, I think so. No local backspace though.:-(

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Nice. I can't tell from that, though, whether it glitters in the dark or not. :-)

#Paul

Reply to
news17k

In message , Tim Lamb writes

Still here:-)

Apparently it is a Gerber Dimension 200 with Omega 2 software. Vacuum table, air blast cooling, dust extract. The whole lot fitted on a substantial steel box section trolley.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Takes me back to the days when I wrote software to do graphics plotting with hidden line removal on analogue XY plotters with just pen up / pen down for the third axis!

Reply to
newshound

Only near the Tannhauser gate.

G.Harman