Compost

Been Googling everywhere on this ... while you can use an open heap with loads of air .... this is not effective .. as it simply will not generate enough heat ... except perhaps in middle. The key thing initially is heat ... once it's past first rotting phase, it can be turned out into a pile and left to mature into compost, but initial stage needs loads of heat ... and anaerobic.

Still does not explain why mine is so poor though.

Reply to
Rick Hughes

probably best to shred it first

Reply to
Rick Hughes

Golly. You had better tell God that, as the last 10,000 years of leaf mould cant have rotted into topsoil yet.

I think almost everything I have ever seen written about composting is basically WRONG. Everybody does it different, and claims their way is The One True Way.

Organic stuff is broken down by many many sorts of fungi, bacteria, eaten by worms, shat on by pigeons. ALL it takes is time.

I just threw stuff in a pile and left it a few years. Perfect compost.

The rest is just bollox.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I'm sure that stuff left for years will rot ......... I'm just trying to find optimum way .... which could speed it up into months. Compost companies make the stuff in weeks.

Reply to
Rick Hughes

Fosters lager is made in days

Vintage brandy takes 20 years.