Common waste for dishwasher and washing machine

These will be next to each other.

There is very little room behind these appliances and was wondering how practical it is to have a common waste system.

Are there any regulations on the horizontal length of the U trap, such that I can make a combined trap for both. I would use 40mm pipe, possibly solvent weld.

| | | | | | | | | | _______________________ | | | | | | |_____|______|

This diagram will only work with fixed width fonts.

Reply to
Fredxxx

Use one of these

most plumbers merchants have them.

Reply to
David Lang

Many thanks.

I have seen similar, but I suppose I'm rather used to hoses loosely placed in a vertical waste pipe, rather than to a push fit attachment as in your link.

Reply to
Fredxxx

I did exactly that.

But I made the trap out of 50mm elbows and tees (2 tees with a cap on the top of each end to allow for cleaning).

Works rather well.

However, I find that it was a good idea to do this:

A B | | | /----------------| | |------------/ | | | | | | |____|

The dip is 2 x 45 degree bends end to end. It is not much but it stops back pressure from stand pipe A pushing back up B

I also finished A and B with screw caps so if either is not used it can be blanked off.

Reply to
Tim Watts

We have exactly as per your diagram. TW's idea of tees with screw caps for cleaning would seem a useful improvement, provided they don't leak. Ours haven't needed cleaning in the 15 years we've been here.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

The good thing about pushing a hosepipe onto the spigot with a jubilee clip over a hosepipe pushed into a 40mm waste pipe is that if there is a blockage downstream, it does not overfill past the open end of thje 40mm pipe and flood the floor, buy stays within the machine concerned.

Reply to
Stephen

I did something similar --- I think you advised me here.

Reply to
Adam Funk

If ours leak, it will be in the dirt-bottomed crawl space under the kitchen (which is accessible --- not pleasantly, but crawlable).

Reply to
Adam Funk

It's worked here for the past 32 years. The uprights are a machine-width apart and the whole lot exits the room within the width of the second machine.