Combi boiler recommendations

I am not disputing that small baths are made. I pointing out that most of "us" do not have one installed. If you walk round the sheds or bathroom showrooms, most of the baths on display are not 80-100L ones either. Hence this is why we have trouble believing your claims for the average bath size.

I use a combi, and tolerate it - it is a compromise that suited my needs.

However, you are attempting to divert the discussion. We are not talking about the type of combi that "millions" have installed.

An alpha with combined storage is not a "standard" combi. Its dynamic performance in the delivery of water is different. With that difference comes a number of operational procedures that the operator will need to put in place to get effective use from it. The same is true of a conventional combi, however the procedures are different.

Vis bath filling procedure:

Adequately sized stored system:

Turn on hot and cold, adjust temperature to liking, come back when bath is full and turn off taps.

Combi:

Turn on hot tap, wait for water to stabilise in temperature. Reduce flow rate until desired temperature reached, come back when bath full and turn off tap.

Alpha:

Start as per stored system, wait until hot flow rate reduces, turn down/off cold tap until desired temperature balance is restored.

For the combi or alpha (and equal) this is not rocket science, and just requires a bit of training for the user. It may also require some instruction for guests.

However it is worth pointing out for those looking at a product like the Alpha, that they will not get the simplicity of operation that a correctly sized stored water system would provide - it will in fact be like having a mixture of combi and stored water system, which is not supprising since it is.

As a starter perhaps, but we are talking bathroom suites here.

At last - that is was my point exactly. It will drop off in flow rate, hence you need to remember to turn down the cold tap when this happens or you are going to get a tepid bath. Either that, or you need to do some trial and error to work out a starting temperature for the mix that is actually too hot, but which will mix down to an acceptable final temperature when the slug of tepid water is added toward the end.

Reply to
John Rumm

The message from "IMM" contains these words:

Wow! Wonders will never cease. dIMM attempting some simple arithmetic. What a pity he got it wrong.

The best case scenario for dIMMs highly questionable example is that the first 90 litres delivered is made up of the 56l from the store at store temperature and the remaining 34 litres at whatever temperature rise the combi can manage at a delivery rate of 18l per minute. In practice the 2 volumes should mix and the temperature in the store drop gradually rather than suddenly sink which would mean rather less heat getting into the bath. But then in practice the 18l flow rate couldn't be maintained as the boiler would start restricting delivery to maintain output temperature well before the store was exhausted.

Reply to
Roger

It acts the same way in one of the flowrate stages.

Ah, you are getting it.

Not quite. I know of a stored water system that delivers slowly, so the user acts accordingly in adding cold. I know of a fast one that the user would need to act differently too.

When I add cold I repeatedly keep testing the temperature of the bath water with my hand. 99% of people do this. Not a problem.

A combi dropping to a lower flowrate at the very end of a bath fill would not put people off. The fact that it never runs out of hot water is appealing to people.

Reply to
IMM

< snip >

Misinformation don't take any notice.

Reply to
IMM

So you sit on the edge of the bath the whole time it is filling with you mit in the water then? No wonder you bought a titchy bath.

Reply to
John Rumm

You look in and put your hand in every so often, like the rest of humanity.

Reply to
IMM

The message from "IMM" contains these words:

snip

Oh goody, a flexible cylinder. Do tell where I can get one from?

snip

Wrong on every conceivable count.

Average modern baths are getting larger rather than smaller to cater for Fat Bastards like dIMM. Averaged sized people in average sized baths thus have to use more water than before if they change to an average modern bath.

80-100 is not an average, it is a range with a mid point (average if you like) of 90. No one in their right mind would use that little water in an average sized bath.

No doubt quite true that it is not dIMMS assessment. He just misapplied figures he didn't understand (so what's new) from some promotional material.

Reply to
Roger

The message from "IMM" contains these words:

Yes.

Reply to
Roger

< snip >

Misinformation don't take any notice.

Reply to
IMM

Rambling drivel and misinformation

Reply to
IMM

The message from "IMM" contains these words:

dIMM you're a waste of space and you're still wasting bandwidth.

If you have to reply at least try to to give your messages some real content. Then at least we would have something new to laugh at.

Reply to
Roger

< snip>

Rambling drivel and misinformation

Reply to
IMM

So we all want to fill a big bath as quickly as possible. So why store water then? I have the answer: store gas. We can only get 6 m3 of gas from the supply per minute - so store it in a big tank in the attic. Then simply buy as big a combi boiler as you like. 160 kw no problem.

Better still if the manufacturers would make "stackable" combis. You could arrange them in a matrix. No plumbing required - just push them together like lego bricks. Bit tired of your old flow rate? Simply add one more combi to your attic matrix.

Markus

Reply to
Markus Splenius

The message from "IMM" contains these words:

dIMM that is something that you are very good at, very probably the only thing you are very good at. But I know and you know and I suspect the whole world knows by now that if I managed to post a response to one of your messages that you could refute you would jump in with both feet a good deal quicker than it takes me to write dIMM you are dIMM by name and dim by nature.

Reply to
Roger

Snip

...but surely if the body in the bath is getting bigger AT THE SAME RATE at the bath is getting larger, then you don't need any more water?

Not actualy true, I suspect, and after 1/2 bottle of wine I'm not going to try to calculate it!!

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Chesters

< snip>

Rambling drivel and misinformation

Reply to
IMM

Good thinking. Combis about 25-28kW are cheap install two and get 22 litres/min and be within the 62kW a meter will provide. Do a google onn post poste re: 2 combi's. .

Reply to
IMM

< snip >

Misinformation don't take any notice.

Reply to
IMM

SNIP

'Ere - have you been reading up on Super Concord modular boilers or summat?

Reply to
John