Combi boiler keeps cutting out

I'm having an issue with my Ariston Eurocombi A23. Occasionally when using the shower, the hot water stops coming through after about 5 minutes. When looking at the boiler when this happens, the burners stop burning, yet the boiler still seems to be On, i.e. the extractor fan is on etc. When the shower is turned off, the boiler shuts down as normal. After a minute or two when the shower is restarted, hot water flows again, until again after about 5 mins the burners stop.

Before I get a CORGI in, does anyone have an idea about what could be causing this? Is it likely to be something relatively simple, or am I talking megabucks to fix?

Thanks.

Paul

Reply to
Pacman

What happens if you run the hot tap? Does it still cut out?

sponix

Reply to
Sponix

Its likely to be the diverter valve

Reply to
IAN

Normal use, it doesnt cut out. However hot tap is never on for more than a minute or 2 whilst a sink is filled etc.

Paul

Reply to
Pacman

So what does that do? Is it an expensive, big job?

Paul

Reply to
Pacman

A scaled up secondary heat exchanger is centre frame for this fault, especially if the burner starts again after 30 seconds or so.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Burner doesnt start up, not without stopping the shower and starting it again. It doesnt start up on its own.

Paul

Reply to
Pacman

Um... some problem with the water flow detector may be?

Assuming the DHW flow leads to some sort of micro switch I would try to monitor it's output. I'd choose this test since it's not too difficult and it will split the problem into two completely different approaches from then on.

Reply to
Ed Sirett