Colours of 1950s wireing.

I suspect that's a mistake. It should probably read:

Green protective sleeving: 1966-1971(?)

Green/Yellow protective sleeving: 1971(?) onwards

Should also add:

13A socket-outlets: post-1945 (Introduction in 1946)

Very interesting though.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Agreed. Someone else posted a follow-up:

"The use of green alone as the colour identification of earthing conductors is admissible until 31 December 1977, after which the use of this colour may no longer be described as complying with these Regulations." [Table B.4A 14th Ed 1976]

Slightly later, maybe. The first edition of BS 1363 was dated 1947. Was there a change-over date here at all? Round-pin plugs are still allowed, after all. 1955 is the publication date of the 13th Edition, so perhaps that's when 13 A sockets became a preferred option.

Yes.

Reply to
Andy Wade

It was a craze here c.1963, under the name Scooby doo - packets with two colours of what was really PVC sleeving. And they probably sold it for more than Homebase would have charged for earth sleeving!

I look on Google and guess what

"Thursday, March 10, 2005

The latest mad craze is knitting.

Watch out, American teens, you may be next. France, Belgium and Scandinavia have already fallen.

In the space of two weeks, the fashion for knitting bits of cheap plastic string into a pointlessly coloured piece of cord has invaded and utterly overthrown my students. There is no child in the school - not one - I'm including the sixteen year olds here - unswathed by bunches of brightly coloured plastic 'laces', and desperately knotting together some improbable pattern in the hopes it will hold till the next lot of colours can be swapped."

Tony Bryer

My parents house built in 1952/3 featured rubber cable in steel conduit and the then fairly modern 13A sockets. Colors were red black only. Earth was via the metal conduit and was generally bare wired or green..there was a copper earth rod in the ground..possibly added by my father..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Just "twisted flex" or "lighting flex"? I don't know of any other names.

Reply to
Andy Wade

I'm pretty certain it had a trade name.

Reply to