Cold radiators

I have a gas heated, vented CH system. The problem I have at present is the radiator, ground floor, furthest from the boiler only ever get slightly warm. The hot water tank is the first floor and the cold water and header tank are in the loft. How can I overcome this problem?

Many thanks

Paul the D

'You're a big man, but you're out of shape. With me it's a full time job. Now behave yourself.'

Reply to
Paul the D

The system needs balancing - see the FAQ.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

You will need to balance the system out, so that every radiator is getting the full flow of hot water around them, and not being prioritised by the lower resistances around some parts of the heating circuits.

If you turn off all the radiators at the return side (out flow) valve, and then while you turn them on again, count how many full turns it takes to fully open them up. You can place a pencil mark on one edge of the valve head and count how many times it passes a particular spot in the room.

When you find out how many turns it takes to fully open them from fully closed, then you turn them half way. So that means from fully open, you would turn them half the amount of turns it takes to fully close them.

Example: From fully open it takes 6 turns to fully close the valve, so to get the valve to open half way, you turn it fully open, then turn it 3 times to get it half way.

Do this with all the radiators and see if it makes a difference. You should be able to pick the hottest radiators after doing this, and make small adjustments to the return valves to balance the heating out around all of them.

Reply to
BigWallop

behave yourself.'

It is either because there is sludging in the system, or more likely because you only mention one radiator as affected, that the system is not balanced.

This is an easy, although a bit time consuming process.

There are details in the newsgroup FAQ at

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall