Cold Bathroom Radiator run of Hot Water

Hi Folks,

I have a radiator in an en-suite that is run off the hot water circuit and has recently started to refuse to heat up. I suspect it may be related to a recent draining down of the central heating system but either way assuming it is an air-lock (another radiator fed by the hot water circuit is heating up) or similar what can I do to clear it?

What else could it be?

Cheers

Reply to
Endulini

Who put that in? It would be a totally useless way to run a radiator.

Reply to
Tim Watts

The previous owners but it's not uncommon, I've lived in a few houses where it's been similar. Means the towels dry during the summer when the CH is off.

Reply to
Endulini

Ah, I think you mean it's on the water heating circuit of the CH system rather than being heated by the hot water (which would be stupid).

Do you have a sealed system (with a pressure gauge somewhere in the system) or is it "open vented" with a tank in the loft (or elsewhere high up) to fill the system?

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Ok, it's a open vented system, the expansion tank is in the loft.

Reply to
Endulini

So why would it stop heating and if it's an air-lock how can I clear it?

Reply to
Endulini

1) Bleed it until no air comes out; 2) Open both the lockshield valve and whatever is at the other end fully and run the heating (or HW in your case).

Given enough flow, small amounts of air usually blow clear.

Reply to
Tim Watts

and closing down other rads can help.

Reply to