Cold and Still

No, it yo that is simples.

That is where the smart grid and energy demand management comes in.

harryagain

PV solar tracking devices are available. Three times the price and 40% more electricity.

There are rotating houses already built. Google rotating+solar+house

Reply to
harryagain

Nothing new about demand management. Places I have worked at which have large or huge power requirements, such as CERN, are always liable to be the first to be cut when power is short because it's cheaper for them.

So tell me how the smart grid is going to help when your renewables produce little or nothing at all.

Reply to
Tim Streater

In fact, looking at harry's link I was being too kind - make that

Reply to
John Rumm

A house sized "lazy Susan" bearing perhaps?

Reply to
John Rumm

How much power is needed to de-ice and spin wind turbines?

Reply to
dennis

Is it not possible to refer to energy demand (as obvious from the units) as distinct from power demand?

Reply to
Andy Burns

We need as many different forms pf renewable energy as possible. There will probably always be the need for some gas. Though some think 100% renewable is possible..

harryagain

I think you'll find that most people already have been. Mainly because we can read, write and add up.

Reply to
Huge
[76 lines snipped]

Wodders is a troll best killfiled and ignored. He'll argue that up is down if it suits him.

Reply to
Huge

Yes harry of course if you and wonkypedia say so, others aren't quite so convinced....

tony sayer

It's a mere assertion on harry's part, presented without evidence, and so may safely be ignored.

Reply to
Tim Streater

How about you and Woddles learn how to snip.

Reply to
Tim Streater

yay! Someone else started doing it!

(BTW, I use a plugin for gedit - it just deletes the text and substitutes a line count.)

Hear, hear.

Reply to
Huge

In message , harryagain writes

All we need is nukes

Reply to
bert

Ironic that the idiot Davey visited Hull to mark the start of work on the S iemens wind turbine plant while local windfarms and other turbines were sta nding still. Still it will make lots of money from our increased electricit y bills to the benefit of the overseas parent company.

Reply to
johnjessop46

Yep.

It is *very* cold here. And 8kW of electric heaters is struggling to heat the house today - from cold, we were away for 3 days which let it cool down.

Switched on 5kW remotely yesterday at 1pm and the house was "ok" ish but it's still not really warm (heaters off overnight).

This has given me a useful data point for sizing the rads for the new CH system. "More than 2kW" per room seems to be a reasonable theory.

Or more precisely -

About 1.5kW sized at optimal flow temperatures for a condensing boiler which'll do most of the cooler times, with the option to jack the flow temperature up and get 2.5kW.

Not sure how that pans out in reality - need to look at some rad specs.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Well, actually no. We need a lot more of them - but they aren't very dispatchable. You need something you can turn on and off quickly to handle the peaks, with nuclear for the baseload.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

They can be made pretty dispatchable - as dispatchable as coal.

Its surprising how much energy is in a big fat steam boiler, too.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher