Coin (or similar) operated gas and electric meters.

Why set yourself up with the hassle of installing Gas&Electric meters? as a landlord these should not concern you unless you're in the same building and running the main entered pipe to these?

Reply to
George

Coin meters for gas and elecricity suitable for use in rented flats used to be common..

I've heard that other options now exist. Does anyone know where, online, I can get info on other options, such as card-operated meters which I've heard rumours about?

I need something that will create an easy and reliable way for a landlord to collect gas and electricity payments from a tenant.

TIA,

Dave H

Reply to
Dave H

Bite the bullet and get meters installed seperately for the tenants - that way, you are not liable for any costs if and when they bugger off without paying.

Reply to
Colin Wilson

He's not liable if the tenant has to sort out getting the gas and electric meters installed.

Hence me saying why have the hassle.

Reply to
George

In article , Dave H writes

Dunno about the fancy ones but coin op ones are here:

Gas:

, near the bottom of the page Code 8996 Reconditioned U6 pound coin meter with hasp £136.40 Leccy:
, again at the bottom Code 16046 Re-conditioned electricity prepayment meter £46.98

Reply to
fred

The "Exchange and Mart" (are they still around?) used to advertise these meters many years ago.

Sylvain.

Reply to
Sylvain VAN DER WALDE

I'm not sure how habitable a premises would be classed as if no utilities were laid on... I suspect the tenant would have a strong argument with the housing officer if nothing else.

The landlord is still probably best paying for seperate meters to be installed by his local REC at this stage - despite this apparent hassle, it will isolate him from any liability for non-payment by tenants at a later date.

Reply to
Colin Wilson