climbing ladders update :-)

I posted a couple of weeks back about going up a ladder (scared of) or lack of. Anyhow I decided to do the lower levels and if necessary get someone to paint the fascia on 2nd storey. Started ground floor windows and used a step ladder for top parts, I knew that would be ok height wise. Progressed to the porch with a sloped roof so the eaves of the porch were around 12 high, nervous to start but after a day or so was quite comfortable on the ladder. Then I done the window above the porch (1st floor)as I could access from the bedroom window (1st floor) and put a rope (tied to bed) as a comfort to hang on to (small roof but steep slope) was a bit uncomfortable but mainly from the steep angle of the roof. Then I started on the first floor windows, just scraping paint of the cills, got quite comfortable with that on the ladder. Today done a bit more at that level and still ok. So only another 3 feet to go and I reckon I will tackle painting the fascia myself. that is if the weather holds out so I dont lose my confidence with to long a gap.

If this continues I may even progress on to the roof to clear the moss and 2 tiles to replace as i can access from the extensions roof , in other word I dont have to climb a ladder to the top floor and attempt to get on the roof, doubt if I could get back off, its only 6 feet from the extension roof to the main roof.

Progress.

Reply to
SS

SS,

Nice to see you making progress on ladderwork - and when you reach your target height, remember one *VERY* important rule:

When working off a ladder, *NEVER*, *NEVER* become over-confidant and overstretch your reach just to do a little bit more - because you *think* its easier to do that , rather than climb down and move the ladder over to the right position.

Cash

Reply to
Cash

  • 1000

Andy C

Reply to
Andy Cap

Well done. Just a matter of acclimatisation!

Reply to
harryagain

Reminds me of a bit in Nevil Shute?s autobiography ?Slide Rule? where they were trying to hire a redundant shipyard fitter to work on an airship. Access to the heights of the airship was via a long ladder affair the top part of which was stuck out into empty air. Climbing the ladder was part of the interview. The fitter, having been out of work for a bit had lost his head for heights and only got about a third of the way up the ladder before losing his nerve.

He was very upset at this, so they took him to the pub and bought him a pint to commiserate. After the drink, he asked if they?d let him try again. This time he got two thirds of the way before losing it. Back to the pub, another pint led to another try, which led to success. So they gave him the job.

(I recommend ?Slide Rule? by the way)

Reply to
Jon Fairbairn

Jon Fairbairn brought next idea :

Yes, a very interesting read .

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

On 06/08/2011 09:00, harryagain wrote: ... snipped

Shouldn't that be climb'atisation? (Sorry. Hat, coat, etc)

Reply to
NoSpam

Excellent read. Nothing about the Naval airship to convince me much has changed in military intelligence. Except it seems to have spread.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer