Cleaning very grubby floor boards

I'm trying to clean up some floor boards to assess their suitability as an exposed floor surface. They're pretty ingrained with what I guess is plaster dust, blobs or artex and assorted grime. A belt on my sander will clean about 6" square before losing all its abrassiveness, it's not just clogging. Any suggestions for any kind of pre sanding treatment, or do I need to bulk buy some more sanding belts?

Reply to
Rob

What sort of sander are you using? You need a large drum sander (i.e. weighs a ton, looks like a huge upright vaccum cleaner and takes paper as coarse as

24 grit. Not the sort of thing that is owned, but frequently hired.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

A belt sander. With 60 grit belts. It's only for about 2 metres square. Will the big beast really clean that much better?

Reply to
Rob