Cleaning up after painting

Don`t buy poundland brushes , they are terrible, bristle loss can still be a problem.

Ditto with fleece rollers, cheap ones leave half the fleece on the paintd surface :-(

Toolstations no brand No Loss Synthetic brushes are decent with long bristles.

Pro painters use Brush Mates and never clean their brushes

Toolstation, really not a shill, do both Brush Mate and Store and Go and Clean and Go

Adam Aglionby

how do you do that?

NT

Reply to
meow2222

The Dandy is a gadget that actually work. (Well, for brushes and rollers, anyway - pads remain a sod to clean.) Couple of quid cheaper direct without the Bezos tax, though:

mike

Put them in a jar of water and leave until next use, works for oil based too.

Reply to
Nitro®

For solvent based paint, get the bulk of the paint off the brush and then suspend the brush in a pot of solvent, with the bristles held off the bottom of the pot. The paint falls to the bottom and the solvent can be reused after it has dropped clear.

Reply to
matthelliwell

A proper brush cleaner. Changes oil paint residue into something which can be washed off with washing up liquid and hot water. Keep the cleaner in a jam jar etc which can be sealed after use - it doesn't have to be fresh cleaner each time.

Don't like the just use cheap brushes and throw them away idea. A decent brush is much easier to use - but costs enough to make cleaning worthwhile.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

These are excellent

The Medway Handyman

Splash out on some of these

Whats not apparent in the photies is the bristle is about twice the length of the cheap brushes, makes laying off a doddle even for us non Rembrants ;-)

Thinking about store-and-go whilst mixing paper paste earlier, could it just be silica gel or similar and a fancy bucket with brush clips?

Reply to
Adam Aglionby

Another vote for the Dandy! I use both strategies discussed here: throwaway brushes for "average" jobs[1], and better ones for more important jobs. The Dandy makes cleaning the brushes, and especially rollers, much easier.

Adrian, re your Jackson Pollock comment :-) --- you hold the roller inside an old bucket (a big old bucket) to spin it. Amazing how much paint comes out!

J.

[1] Though I hate throwing *anything* away. I usually end up cleaning and keeping even the cheap brushes for "just one more job". :-(
Reply to
Another John

Use them a lot and over time they will develope that nice thin edge that you need for cutting in - and look after them.

Cash

Reply to
Cash

To be honest my main problem is with pads

Reply to
Jim S

/Jim S

Ah.... No surgical possibilities?

Jim K

Reply to
JimK

I just use one of those big glass sweet jars with a screw on lid. The ones that all corner sweet jobs used to have on their shelves.

The problem with keeping quality brushes in a humid solvent environment is that the paint on the handle softens and flakes off after a while.

The best solvent to use is Gun wash thinners. Get a 5 litre can at a motor factors for much less than the cost of white spirit.

If you must use white spirit, keep the washings in a large glass container, like an 800 gm hellmans jar, and the solids settle out, allowing the 'clean' supernatant to be poured off and res-used for cleaning the next batch of brushes.

Reply to
Andrew