Cleaning sand for use in concrete.

Simple question - anyone know how they do it? I am sure that sand can't be simply dredged off the beach and use, it would be covered in salt, no? That wouldn't bode well for use in reinforced concrete - I seem to recall a spate of Turkish beach villas collapsing because of salty sand, or have I mis-remembered that?

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
David Paste

That's why its quarried out of the ground instead. It is used as is. well maybe it gets a bit rained on...

That wouldn't bode well for use in reinforced concrete - I seem to

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I very much doubt that much, if any, sand for concrete comes from a beach, certainly not directly. There are beds of sand and gravel all over the UK that are quarried and graded. In the West Country the sand tips you see on the moors in mid-Cornwall, waste from the china clay industry, are extensively used. These are washed, to remove the finest stuff, then graded to give very good sharp sand for concrete.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

The Natural Philosopher wrote

Pillock

Sailor

Well, exactly. I always understood soft sand was dug out and sharp was dredged (how else would it have bits of shell in it?). No big deal to wash the salt off presumably.

Reply to
stuart noble

the understanding in the group that is simply plain WRONG is unbelievable.

I built a house., I ordered in sand, soft, sharp and gravel up to 20mm. All came from the same quarry.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

'course, the quarry might just have been being used as a depot...

Reply to
Adrian

/The Natural Philosopher

Amen :-) :-) :-)

Jim K

Reply to
JimK

I saw a tv program about dredging at sea, the ship graded what it picked up by size but there was no other preparation. So it was still a bit salty.

New brickwork effloresces, I assume due to the sea salt in the sand.

I've heard about sea sand causing collapse in Portugal too. I'm guessing our cement meets standards theirs needn't.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

"I did X, and it worked out like Y" "Therefore Y is the only way of doing X"

You see a lot of that here.

(In this instance, I have no idea of the specific truth or otherwise of the assertions. But it's worth spotting the pattern of thinking)

J^n

Your .sig is quite amusing in the context.

Reply to
jkn

I don't think they get it from the beach. However I seem to recall they actually wash it and dry it en masse. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Hanson have a site in Kent which takes in sand and shingle from dredgers working off the east coast. The material is sorted, crushed if too big and then washed to remove the silt and salt, sorted for size again then the process recovers the fine sand and adds it back in to the soft sand. I think they handle about 500K tons a year with part time working. It takes about 5hrs to unload 5K tons from the dredger. The total capacity I believe is around 1.2M tons/yr with 24hr working.

Reply to
Capitol

though in this case he didnt say that

Reply to
meow2222

Precisely. I was refuting the general statement that 'all sharp sand /soft sand comes from X/Y.

Sand and gravel is wot you get from waterborne loads of rock smashing themselves to pieces.

sure they get smashed a bit more on a beach over time, than in a river,. but its not a hard and fast thing.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher