Cleaning (brick dust)

OK, so the builders have finished the dirty work. We need to move back in this weekend, and so a mammoth cleaning job is required. Any tips? or is it just Bucket, Sponge and soapy water? TIA

Reply to
Vass

vacuum cleaner.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Start dry - hoover up as much as possible before the sponge and soapy water.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Hire a big industrial type vacuum.. Make sure you get dusting brushes & crevice tools with it.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

use a cyclone (but not dysoon) that allone clears close to all of it.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Nooooo!!! no sponges. I tried that on the doors after I finished sanding the hall walls, just moved the dust around into big streaks. I used an old teatowel. The trick is to use it just wet enough but not dripping, rinse it regularly and change the water more often than you want to.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Ashby

YES. This is definitely the way to go. Avoid wet situations until you have done this!!

Reply to
EricP

The trick is when clearing up anything like this - and that includes the cement and grout off tiles - to do ONE wipe, then squeeze and rinse the sponge dry, and then wipe again..and change the water every half hour or so.

Most of the dust settles out as sediment, which is why you only change it every ha;f hor.

Even so, a rewipe with clean water after its all done, often gets another layer off.

But wherever possible if its dry to start with, use a vacuum.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

A Henry vacuum cleaner. And then elbow grease (I think Aldi have it on special offer at the moment)

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Elbow gease and scratch are always to be found on the same shelf at all major stores.

Reply to
Paul Herber