Clarke (i.e. Machine Mart) stoves - any good?

We're thinking of installing a small[ish] wood burning stove in our breakfast room. We already have a big wood burner in our main room which has been there for two or three years and we love it. We have almost unending supplies of wood at the moment (I reckon we have two or three years worth at least) so a second wood burner makes sense on a lot of fronts.

Machine Mart have a 17.5% off offer at the moment on all their own brand stuff so, if their stoves are any good, now would be a good time to buy. Does anyone here actually have a Clarke stove or know anything about them?

Other (reasonably priced) brands would be of interest, we're talking about the 5 to 10kW size I would think.

Reply to
usenet

No, they're horrible. Like all those cheap cast iron stoves, they're more for decoration than use (especially the smaller cheaper potbellies). Fire them up regularly and you'll have cracking problems.

A much better deal is something built from steel rather than iron. By and large this means recycling gas cylinders or welding from flat plate. If you go to someone with an eye for design and a plasma cutter you can get something much more interesting and you may even beat Machine Mart's pricing (their big stoves are far from cheap).

Something like a Jotul is of course excellent, but the price!

If you're near Ludlow, here's a chap who makes nice designs.

you're in Bristol or South Wales area, I do custom ones too.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

To be quite honest they all look rather ugly to me, the sort of bodge my rather pathetic welding would produce.

Sadly I'm right across the other side of the country in Suffolk.

Reply to
usenet

Sister has the Franklin, this has been in use for over 2 years, and for the last winter mostly every day. Not cracked yet.

IMO ugly though...

If its for the workshop ... something like these might be better:

AlexW

It's for our breakfast room, not a workshop. Thanks for the link however, they sell the Hunter Herald 14 that we have in the lounge and like very much and the site looks good for having a wide range to browse through.

Reply to
usenet

We have been using a small Clarke stove for 5 years + and it’s very effective. It gets lighted every evening and has never been a problem. So don’t believe all the negative comments you see on here.

Reply to
Danish

You are 17 years late, stupid.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

better late than never

Reply to
jimbo

It could of course prove that they have actually fixed the errors in the old ones though? That is the problem with the internet, old stuff carries on until somebody deletes it. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I've said that about a few people.

Reply to