Circles on water damaged monitor?

I'm interested as to how this happened:

formed circles, after the monitor got wet (ok, my cat "scented" it, which I assume is salty water) - why the circles? I can't believe the "water" physically spread that evenly. And I'm unaware of any connection in an LCD monitor activating a circle - wouldn't I short out a horizontal band or something?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Dig out your polarized sunglasses and see if you learn anything. Might have damaged the front polarizer.

Reply to
Mike

I don't have sunglasses.

Is the polarizer replaceable? I can find a few people selling the film to replace it, but I'm not sure how easy it is or if it's worth the bother. A couple of Youtube videos on changing one make it look like a work of art.

It still seems strange I'm getting very accurate circles. Although they're gradually expanding, and not always exactly circular. One now looks like a pacman shape, and another has little scrape marks next to it.

When I find out which cat did it, it's in big trouble.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

I suspect it is dffusion outwards from a small drop of solution. As to what is diffusing, I have no idea. Presumably some chemical constituent of the urine I suppose.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

Looks like you are not the first to have this problem:

Others mention similar cat problems.

Reply to
Frank

Likely just some quirk of the plastic that produces that unusual effect with piss.

2987pl

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

So, one of your stinking cats jumped on to your desk and pissed on your monitor and most likely all over your desk. Where else in your home has the bloody thing been pissing?

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

Too many places. But it gets severely reprimanded and is cutting down.

By the way, I know plenty dogs who do the same.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Nah, they're not intelligent enough to plot revenge.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

So you don't know then.

Good luck getting everyone registered.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

I like the advice "upgrade from a cat to a dog". Trouble is you have to walk them.

I find most cats are trainable. If you get angry enough, they eventually stop doing things.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

In an absolute perfect circle, ignoring gravity?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

There are many layers within an LCD (individually they have strange optical properties) some of them have a textured matte finish, I could see that allowing liquid to "wick" between layers in a circular pattern.

Reply to
Andy Burns

But would it really be a PERFECT circle?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

It's why cats aren't the dominant species on the planet. Using urine to mark territory, ffs.

I bought a plug in pheromone emitter once, it was supposed to stop them doing it. It smelled worse than the cats and was immediately returned.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

It's the dogs that get registered, stupid.

Reply to
2987pl

Nope, plenty of them are happy to walk themselves. When I was building the house, one of the neighbours dogs used to have a regular circuit every single day, regular as clockwork, around the same route, sniffing and pissing in the same places every day. Hilarious to watch.

When I walked back to the place to pick up my car after getting a wheel alignment done, came across a big alsatian out on its own doing something very similarly with most of the trees and gates on the street verge, and going right down the driveway of some houses and bailing up the dog behind the gate at the end of the drive. Hilarious.

Reply to
2987pl

I rephrase for you, pedant: "Good luck getting everyone to register their dog."

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Dunno, but it would be interesting to try. I guess it could be if the migration rate of the edge is uniform.

Reply to
2987pl