(Chromed towel) radiator life - 3 years ?

3 years ago, I finally replaced a chromed towel radiator bought in 2005 that started leaking in 2012. I tried sealing it with the two-pack plumbing sealant, but decided to replace and re-inhibit the system.

Just seen a couple of drips under it today.

Is it me, or is 3 years taking the piss ?

This is an additional radiator I fitted in our cloakroom - which rarely gets used enough to worry about being too cosy. I am very tempted to seal the ****ing thing off, and leave it.

Of course, doing as much online as possible has the advantage that I have the receipt and it's already been sent to the retailer with a bit of an ear bashing. But since it shows the radiator being bought with some inhibitor, that's one excuse they can't use ....

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Well it seems any discussion is redundant.

Full refund issued - took less than 20 minutes. On a Sunday !!!!

Big up Screwfix !!!!!!!!

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Mine was also installed in 2005 and is still going strong with no sign of a leak. (Fingers crossed!)

Reply to
The Other John

I don't know about that but it seems to have taken a leak. :-)

I'll get me coat...

Reply to
Johnny B Good

In article <pss06q$oi5$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me, Jethro_uk <jethro snipped-for-privacy@hotmailbin.com writes

Ours have lasted 10 year plus and still going - B&Q

Reply to
bert

That's quite a result!

TBH I have found Screwfix very good at honouring faulty items.

However the true cost in your case is the actual replacement, unless you can find an exact replica radiator using the same mounting brackets and the same spacing between valves!

Reply to
Fredxx

You might look at TLC for a replacement - mine from them is SS.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Well, we'll see ... looking at the range (from SF) it seems there's some sort of "standard" - so I hope it's quite straightforward.

Even more to their credit, they refunded the cost of the inhibitor - recognising that's a cost of the replacement process.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Our dual one (it is a proper CH rad and has an electric element for use when the CH isn't on) is about 12 years old. I've replaced the element, may be 4 years ago.

An oil filled, electric only one, lasted about 15 years and was still working etc- looked like new, when we had the other bathroom refitted. We had a dual fuel one fitted there as well- with one of the Screwfix timer switches (safe in bathrooms).

While I've never had a faulty item from Screwfix- at least not in a time that I thought 'fair enough', I've never heard a bad thing re their service etc- quite the converse. My only 'niggle' as a DIYer is that you can't generally see the products first- I sometimes like to look to consider how to fit/use etc. I just look in B&Q and buy from SF!

Reply to
Brian Reay

Well this was Stainless Steel too ?

Quite happy to use SF again - that's the secret of customer service. Rather than expending vast amounts of energy denying any mistakes and pretending you are flawless - quickly admit your mistake and put it right.

There are a few places that I've had issues with that were sorted quickly and without drama that I am quite happy to continue being a customer.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

There aren't many suppliers that have every transaction you make recorded, if like me you regularly use Screwfix, this loss will be a small drop in the ocean to your overall spend.

Reply to
Fredxx

You did say chrome - a vastly different and cheaper thing. Chrome on steel can still rust away like any steel rad. SS should last forever.

If you look at the TLC SS prices, they are rather higher for about the same size.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Ah, confusion noted ! Tx ...

Indeed, it was *chromed* steel.

But still, 3 years :(

Reply to
Jethro_uk

same owners

Reply to
James Stewart

Just for the record, I got one of these:

in stainless steel. If anyone's changing theirs, SS is less uncommon than it used to be.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Never quite understood why some steel rads rust through in short order. Perhaps poor quality steel?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Like Ladas, Fiats and Yugos ....

Reply to