Choosing a UPS for a home setup Advice please.

I bought one set of APC batteries.

After that I moved to a third party supplier [1] and the life is just as good. They claim that it's actually the same manufacturer.

[1] In the UK; MDS Battery.
Reply to
Bob Eager

Based on my small sampling here, the replacements are more or less generic anyway.

Sometimes batteries jam in the tray or cavity in the unit, and usually there are screws you can access, to release the thing. I had to buy an extra-long screwdriver, just so I could get the last duff one, out of the chassis. My regular screwdrivers weren't long enough.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

Sounds a bit odd... they are a standard line with one of my suppliers, and there are no end user restrictions.

It might be because Cyberpower do provide the warranty cover themselves

- and would rather deal with the customer directly in the case of a claim rather than through the retailer. (but that is fairly common with lots of IT kit these days)

John Rumm

With APC (at least the older ones) I came to the conclusion that doing the regular tests harmed the battery life.

Reply to
Andy Burns

I've used Tayna Powerline for quite a few years now, no problem.

if you need more than one, do look out for their lower pricing on pairs

Andy Burns

This was the "best" example of that I ever encountered, the battery wasn't the correct type for cyclic use, the UPS was shoved in a hot cupboard

Andy Burns

Short answer; probably not.

I have often noted that the APC packs use exactly the same make an model of battery that I normally buy from CPC as a generic part. The difference being they come a APC sticker! (and in the case of paks made from multiple batteries they are already stuck together and have the link wire and fuse fitted, so you don't need to remove that from the last pack).

However, sometimes the official packs can be worth getting when you can find them cheap enough, since they often include packaging and return postage to recycle the old batts at their expense.

Reply to
John Rumm

I pulled these sorry looking batts out of one of my old APC 1 kVA BackUPS units in 2017:

(about 4.5 years of use)

They were quite toasty as well:

John Rumm