Choosing a new sander

My elderly B& D half sheet sander gave up the ghost a few months ago. I've already got a detail sander and I'm looking for a sander to do larger areas such as skirtings and I've got a panel door to repaint plus general sanding jobs. A bit confused by the choice available, I'm seeking advice as to what I should get.

Random orbital sander, 1/2 sheet, 1/3rd, 1/4 sheet palm........ I'm not looking for the cheapest but something that'll prove its worth in the long run. Recommendations please.

mark

Reply to
mark

I use this Makita

jobs like skirting boards and window sills, together with the detail sander to finish off in the corners. If you're regularly sanding large areas then the 6 inch version might be more useful.

Reply to
pcb1962

Similar products sold by Axminster:

have the Metabo 450, and in addition to sanding, with a polishing mop on, it was outstanding.

Great all-rounders, however better on larger areas than small. For skirtings, sticking with a 1/2 sheet sander may be better.

Reply to
dom

Random orbit sander - any reputable make. Almost on par with a belt sander for stock removal but with greater control, able to give high spec funish with finer grits.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Random orbit sander it is. Thanks guys.

mark

Reply to
mark

If you're not in a rush, keep an eye on Lidl. Got one of their random orbit ones and it's brilliant. I've also got a smaller Bosch I bought some time ago and the Lidl one is miles better as well as being much cheaper. Cheap discs for it as well. Without actually measuring them I think the lidl one is 7 inch, the Bosch 5.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Thanks but I've just ordered a Makita BO5031 from Axminster. It has variable speed and was only a little more expensive than their other 5" model the BO5030. Not sure why I'd want variable speed but I went for it just in case.

Tale of depression and frustration: I tried to order one from

Would have been £8 cheaper but the site was a pain and when I'd come to checkout their 'SagePay' didn't have an option for a Maestro debit card although they had the symbol on their homepage. So 'tools4trade.com' will be avoided by me in future.

mark

Reply to
mark