Choc bloc caps

Google-fu exhausted, I'm looking for either some cube-like plastic caps to fit over a regular choc bloc to make it look prettier [I'm fitting

12v under-cabinet lighting in the kitchen] or maybe something that would have similar functionality supplied as a complete but not too ugly-looking connector between the T&E lighting wire in the walls and the bell wire leading to the LEDs.

The connector(s) which came with the lights and transformer are pretty enough, but are sealed on leads that I need to extend. So I have to start from scratch.

Reply to
Roland Perry

This is all extra low voltage, right, as it's going directly to the LEDs?

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Could you use one of the very small ABS boxes that CPC and others sell?

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Why are you not using a fused spur unit to connect the mains cable in the w all to the transformer? These can also have a switch to control the LV ligh ting. I would only use the choc blocks on the 12v side. Suitable choc block s can be used for mains voltage but like you said need to be enclosed and t he rules on an enclosure are quite stringent about wether tools or other im plements can be pushed through any openings and come in contact with live p arts.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

In message , at 11:23:35 on Tue, 12 Nov

2013, Andrew Gabriel remarked:

Reply to
Roland Perry

In message , at 11:25:19 on Tue, 12 Nov

2013, Bill Wright remarked:

That's about 10x the internal volume of what I'm looking for.

Reply to
Roland Perry

In message , at

03:38:50 on Tue, 12 Nov 2013, Tricky Dicky remarked:

That's all I'm proposing to do. And also making sure there are no exposed parts, as well as looking as neat as possible.

The 240v side (apart from the light switch itself, which previously powered 240v lights under cabinets I've removed) isn't in the kitchen.

Reply to
Roland Perry

Well look at the others in the range then.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Is this what you are looking for ?

Rob

Reply to
robgraham

In message , at 12:50:53 on Tue, 12 Nov

2013, Bill Wright remarked:

I'd prefer something that was designed to do the job, rather than could be adapted to do the job.

Reply to
Roland Perry

In message , at

04:54:53 on Tue, 12 Nov 2013, robgraham remarked:

Once again, far too big. I would really like something that was a maximum of 15mm x 15mm x 10m (length-width-depth)

Reply to
Roland Perry

In message , at 13:20:47 on Tue, 12 Nov

2013, Roland Perry remarked:

x 10mm

Reply to
Roland Perry

Why does the size matter so much? They're going to be out of sight, surely? I would have thought a box one or two inches across wouldn't matter under a kitchen unit.

Have you looked at RS? They have all sorts of weird things.

Or what about some of the little clip-on covers that alarm contractors use for the ends of flexible jumper leads?

Why not forget choc blocks and use a tiny purpose-made terminal box?

I've just had a look at my under-cabinet lighting and the connections are in ABS boxes about the size of a matchbox. These boxes have in no way detracted from the appearance of the kitchen since they are invisible to anyone who is three feet or more tall. The valuation of the house has been unaffected, and I don't think that the boxes have spoilt my life in any way.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

In message , at 15:03:22 on Tue, 12 Nov

2013, Bill Wright remarked:

There's a skirt (or whatever it's called) around the bottom of the wall-hung units, but it's only about two inches deep and you can see the bottoms of the units pretty well.

I tried.

No idea what they are.

That would be just as good, if I could find one. A cover for a choc-bloc would be even simpler.

That might just work - it's the depth that would intrude.

The bottom of my cabinets are exactly at my eye level, and I'm more than

5ft tall.
Reply to
Roland Perry

How about using some wago connectors instead:

John Rumm

If it is only for the 12v supply to the LEDs why not use the junction boxes used for telephone extensions this should be small enough and discreet eno ugh to be out of sight behind the valence strip under your cupboards. I ins talled some LED lights at my previous house, these came with similar juncti on boxes from the supplier. LEDs are very low current devices so the phone junction boxes should easily cope with the current demand.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

In message , at

10:34:56 on Tue, 12 Nov 2013, Tricky Dicky remarked:

The boxes will need to go at the back, next to the wall, so the valence doesn't hide them hardly at all.

Reply to
Roland Perry

In message , at

18:24:03 on Tue, 12 Nov 2013, John Rumm remarked:

The WAGOBOX would be OK, if it was a quarter of the size!

Reply to
Roland Perry

Could you put the gubbins inside the cupboards, in the bottom corners?

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

How about making some boxes from glass fibre?

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright