Childhood DIY experiments

I remember that stuff well - and being deaf in left ear for ten minutes and in my right for 5 hours!

It worked well painted onto the underside of plastic chairs (once dry, exploding when someone sat down and flexed them) or supposedly in one case, painted along the tops of the radiators in the biology lab (until the teacher shouted too loudly).

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

The watered down school lab stuff seemed to do it just fine...

Reply to
John Rumm

Thing with hydrogen sulphide is that although it's toxic, it's far stinkier, so you run away because of the smell before it's too bad.

Carbon tet + bleach sounds unlikely. (googles). Acetone + bleach sounds rather more likely.

Reply to
Clive George

This was ~45 ya, so CFC.

Reply to
PeterC

Reading all the posts in this thread is it any wonder that Britons have won so many Nobel Prizes?

Reply to
Bob Martin

Except at high concentrations when it overwhelms your olfactory receptors (or stuns them) and you cease smelling it. So if you can't smell it, levels have either fallen or risen to a lethal level. ;-)

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

I see your Collins Gem and raise the OED:

  1. trans. To give an electric shock to; esp. (chiefly refl. or in pass.) to kill or injure by electric shock.

People use it to mean injure, so it has come to mean injure.

Reply to
Jon Fairbairn

You can still buy concentrated ammonia in some hardware stores. I have a feeling Robert Dyas still sell it. For the iodine crystals, you'd have to obtain them from tincture of iodine and allow the alcohol to evaporate.

Reply to
Mr Benn

Not sure - maybe it's more surprising that more of them haven't won Darwins, actually...

Reply to
Lobster

Well, being careless and stupid can really further the learning experience. It's only when you're careless, stupid and unlucky that the problems really occur ;)

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules

And I suppose that by definition it's only the guys who haven't had such 'problems' are still around to post their war-stories here!

David

Reply to
Lobster

In message , Clive George writes

Thing with hydrogen sulphide is that it kills nerves, so a high enough concentration of it and you can't smell it (or anything else).

Reply to
Clint Sharp

In message , PeterC writes

Ahh, fair enough. Just mustard gas then.

Reply to
Clint Sharp

In message , Tim S writes

Ohh, forgot about that, back in the day when fireworks were actually close to being worth the money they used to 'leak' in the boxes. Collecting all the leaked contents from whatever bonfire party I was taken to became a bit of an obsession.

Not done that myself, I'd say I'd lead a sheltered life but I know otherwise..

Reply to
Clint Sharp

Yep. An aerosol full of black paint and a .22 pellet. It took a week to wash the paint off my face.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

John

Have you seen this news report about Tasers?

funny but interesting.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Mr Benn wibbled:

Reply to
Tim S

Could have been worse - expanding foam?

David

Reply to
Lobster

Nah. Yellow paint can (for my Mums old N reg Mini) and I gave my Dad the air rifle and told him that even an old git could not miss from that range. He took the bait.

Ouch. One work suit ruined.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Our Airsporter was effective on such a can at 25 yards - the contents of the can weren't.

Reply to
PeterC