Childhood DIY experiments

Ditto............But used the pipe bombs up the local woods to blow up the rubbish bins.
Progressed from bins to couples shagging in cars. Enormous fun chucking one or two large "bands" of bangers next to a steamed up car and waiting for someone to fall out shocked as fuck and half naked, semi deaf and shouting obscenities.. I suspect there were a few pregnancies avoided due to that little bit of fun.
R wrote:

At age 10 or so I was convinced it was possible to light the touch paper of a single banger in a box of assorted fireworks, and have time to snuff it out before the whole lot went up. Wrong of course, but why I carried out the experiment in the bedroom still eludes me. Pig headed and stupid, a deadly combination.
ARWadsworth wrote:

Ours were mainly explosive. I grew up in east London during the late 50's & early 60's, still lots of 'bomb sites' as we called them (derelict land), where you could find all sorts of useful stuff, build 'camps' etc.
Our best find was a metal tube about 3" diameter, 30" long hinged along its length - this became our breach loading rocket launcher when bonfire night came around. Penny bangers were OK, but you could get bigger ones for 3p. Stuffed into the middle of a rotten apple from the local market clear up, they made excellent hand grenades - if you got the timing right they exploded mid air showering bits of apple all over the place.
We also made a paste from potassium permanganate & something else? When it dried out it became a sort of contact explosive. We used to apply liberal amounts to the striker plates of heavy cast iron door knockers & wait...
--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Glycerine!
--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

That mix self ignites fairly quickly (10's seconds to minutes) - not a contact explosive...
Contact bangers sound more like NI3 - but pot.mang isn't used to make this AFAIK. Perhaps there's some extra fun to be had with pot.mang?
wibbled:

Wasn't it something like ammonium iodide? or something iodide.

NI3 = Nitrogen Tri-Iodide: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nitrogen_triiodide
You can make Nitrogen Tri-Cloride but that blows up pretty much as soon as you make it, according to our chemistry teacher.
On Sun, 19 Jul 2009 12:20:31 +0100, Tim S wrote:

Ah, memories. Worked in a chemi lab in the mid 60s. Started off with sawn off burettes and nickel balls (not much range but could destroy a winchester quart - stopped that when 2.5li od fluorosicilic acid went walkies), then moved on to explosives. Had various substances to try, so blowpipe-launched was a natural progression. Doing well until an explosion occured part-way down the pipe. The boss decided that we'd had enough fun and he wanted his empire intact :-(
--
Peter.
Tim S wrote:

Ah yes... for the benefit of newer readers: my experience with that *wonderful* stuff is here:
http://groups.google.co.uk/group/uk.d-i-y/msg/722b267bcc5ce012
As the sister-electrocuter named by the OP (and yes, she did survive my ministrations) - as a kid I had a fair amount of experience with home-made explosives, none of which caused any damage or injury, but for some reason the instance which most sticks in my mind was when I was very young and simply left a lit candle in the garage in a plastic pot overnight 'just to see what would happen'. Went down to see next morning and all that was left was a charred circle of about 9" diameter on the wooden shelf and about half-way through its thickness, where the molten wax must have spilled out and soaked in to the timber as it burned.
Must have been a hair's breadth away from the whole lot - garage, house - going up in flames overnight. I successfully hid the burn mark under old cans etc for years - I owned up to my parents a few years ago, and they never had noticed the burn mark.
David
Tim S wrote:

I remember a science teacher agreeing to show us how to make that on the understanding that none was to leave the lab....
Anyway, some bstard pinched the 35mm film canister of it that I took out of the lab! I did however find said can abandoned later - containing only a tiny crumb left. I knocked that out onto the table tennis table a forgot about it until a few hours later I was in the same room when someone happened to wander past it and waft a bit of paper he was carrying over it. There was a bang and puff of purple smoke, and a rather surprised owner of a sheet of paper with a hole in it and a large purple stain ;-)
--
Cheers,

John.

Sure he didn't make NI3 John, those being crystals - NCl3 is a liquid?
From the Wikipedia article:
"Nitrogen trichloride is a dangerous explosive, being sensitive to light, heat, and organic compounds. Pierre Louis Dulong first prepared it in 1812, and lost two fingers and an eye in two separate explosions. An explosion from NCl3 blinded Sir Humphry Davy temporarily, inducing him to hire Michael Faraday as a coworker. Belgian researchers reported a possible link between NCl3 and rising numbers of childhood asthma cases, in what they call the pool chlorine hypothesis, as an alternative to the hygiene hypothesis with a closer causal link."
And did Davy hate Faraday?
Cheers
Tim
On Sun, 19 Jul 2009 20:23:21 +0100, Tim S wrote:

only if it was the first day of the week.
--
Peter.
Tim S wrote:

Yup it was NI3 - I thought that is what we were talking about - did not see the ref to NCl3....
Iodine crystals soaked in a beaker of ammonia for a bit, and then dumped into a funnel with a filter paper to reclaim the ammonia.
--
Cheers,

John.

Yes, that brings back the memories. I also made that. Great fun!
John Rumm coughed up some electrons that declared:

I've always wanted to do that - but AFAIK you need fairly strong ammonia which I don't have easy access to...

I have some ammonia 880 in the loft ...
need you ask why I bought it ?
--
geoff

Tim S wrote:

The watered down school lab stuff seemed to do it just fine...
--
Cheers,

John.

You can still buy concentrated ammonia in some hardware stores. I have a feeling Robert Dyas still sell it. For the iodine crystals, you'd have to obtain them from tincture of iodine and allow the alcohol to evaporate.

Ooh...
<no further comment>

As much as %insert_contemporary scientist's_name% hated Edison?
--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%