Checking Out a Room Stat

Following some work to add an extra rad I can't get the central heating to come on. I have also done some work in the room that the stat is in making a lot of mess and I have relocated the stat. I assume it is damaged or wired incorrectly. I assume that I can just do a continuity test on a very low and a very high setting. I would have thought though they were pretty immune to a dusty atmosphere or rough treatment.

Kevin

Reply to
Kev

Do you have a room thermostat somewhere? It sounds like that could be broken meaning that the boiler is never "switched" on - apart from via the override switch :) .

Reply to
thankyousam

Oops, replied to the wrong post - meant to reply to the one above.

Reply to
thankyousam

You had me confused for a second.

Reply to
Kev

Yes, a thermostat just makes a circuit. They are not that immune - if you break the bi-metallic strip or there's dirt in there. Tried vacuuming it?

Reply to
zaax

Just short it. If that fixes it then replace it, otherwise its somthing else.

Reply to
marvelus

Yes, but make sure you know which wire is which if you're going to short it! You need to connect Live to Switched Live. The stat may also have a Neutral connection for the return from the accelerator heater. DO NOT connect Neutral to Live - or there will be a loud expensive bang!

Reply to
Roger Mills