Cheap Tool Blues - Hinge Cutter

A few weeks ago I bought a cheap 35mm hinge cutter bit so that I could install a couple of kitchen cupboard hinges. I only needed to do two. Of course, I would never need to use it again.

Six hinges later I sincerely regret buying the cheapie. It has blunted. The centre spike was ridiculously oversized and threatened to pierce the other side of the door ? a bit better after I had taken my Dremel to it.

So now I want to buy a halfway decent hinge cutter bit. Nothing fancy ? but something that will last a few more hinges. Definitely tungsten carbide this time.

So far, I have found:

Silverline (on eBay) from around £8-75 inc. p&p CMT at Axminster around £30-00 Hinge Cutter TCT 35mm at Screwfix £10-99 Various Forstner bits (eBay and elsewhere)

Any advice? Recommendations?

Reply to
Rod

The CMT one is OK and Trend has one as well. I have one of each in different sizes.

These are specifically designed for the job and the locating spike will not penetrate to the other side for standard door and hinge depth. Forstner bits may be deper and have longer spikes.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Tried the silverline - same problem with the spike, much too big. I only needed two holes, so started them both and drilled to half depth, removed the spike on the bench grinder, and completed the holes! (threw the bit in the bin after that).

Reply to
John Rumm

I have the Screwfix TCT, it has done 80+ hinges (40+ doors) in MDF without any appreciable blunting. The tip is a reasonable size, and doesn't penetrate 18mm doors.

R.

Reply to
TheOldFellow

Thanks all. It is nice to know I am not the only one seeing this problem. Sounds like they are not application-specific bits.

Given convenience and postage charges/order size factors (i.e. Screwfix just a few hundred yards up the road), that wins.

Reply to
Rod

Varies a lot Silverline stuff. I've had a lot of grief with some - basin wrench that just didnt work, hinge templates that were so badly made as to be unusable etc, but been very pleased with other things - deck board installtion tool, olive puller, guide clamp.

Toolstation & Silverline seem connected in some way. Same bloke behind both companies?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I bought one from B&Q about 5 years ago. It was quite expensive (around £25 IIRC) but seems to be a high quality one. I don't have it here to look at so I can't tell you the make. It's probably done 8 - 10 doors, without noticably going blunt. The centre point is very small.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel