Cheap LAN tester

Most of their stuff seems pretty decent IME... They are focussed on the electrical trade though rather than the network installer.

Kit that will work (and is safe to use) on live mains cables. The tone tracing works at a 50cm away from the cable as well, which the normal signal cable tone tracers can't do.

Reply to
John Rumm

Proper PoE isn't a problem, passive is. Those cheapy testers at the begining of this thread don't like 12 V passive "PoE". BTDTGTTS...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I would rather not;-)

I don't just go around swapping lights for old dears - although they are far more likely to offer you a nice cup of tea with a biscuit than the wankers in charge of the expensive jobs I have to do.

Reply to
ARW

And how comfortable would you be hooking that up inside a 3ph CU with

440V, and 10kA of PSSC available?
Reply to
John Rumm

on fleabay for £15?

I'm not in the habit of doing that with LAN testers :)

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Its not a lan tester, its a circuit tracer and fuse finder!

Reply to
John Rumm

na on fleabay for £15?

Putting a fuse in a lead on a chinese tester has never struck me as too har d to do.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

And will a fuse bestow upon the cheap tester the ability to inject a RF tone into a live low impedance mains cable, that can then the traced at a 50cm distance from the wire?

Reply to
John Rumm

hina on fleabay for £15?

I'm gonna let you see if you can work that one out.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

What I can't work out is why you think a cheap lan tester is going to do the job of an circuit tracer and fuse finder - a completely different bit of kit, designed for use in a different environment. Even more worrying, is that you appear think the only difference between that and a lan tester is the presence of a fuse.

However, for the avoidance of doubt, let's go back to your question "Can you not get something from China on fleabay for £15?", and answer: No you probably can't, and if you could, I would not want to use it on a live system.

Shall we move on now?

Reply to
John Rumm

China on fleabay for £15?

oo hard to do.

ok, when you want to be sensible let us know.

Reply to
tabbypurr

Are you auditioning for the position of new group clown?

You made the daft comment about buying a £15 quid lan tester instead of the test gear linked to, and then proceeded to get ever more stupid with the comments about adding fuses to them.

A simple apology for your oversight in the first place would have done.

Reply to
John Rumm

"A semiconductor protected by a fast acting fuse will protect the fuse by blowing first."

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Eh? John Rumm's achieved such a high level of being sensible that I expect his posts would be capable of causing serious injury or death if he did not exercise self-restraint.

Reply to
Robin

Why would you want to put a semiconductor fuse in to protect a cheap multimeter ? If teh meter can't protect itself maybe it shouldn't be used for that particualar test.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Try reading it properly.

Reply to
dennis

won't make any difference, he doesn't know what multimeter fuses are for

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Well I got the Toolstation one. Spot on for the small jobs, today I 2nd fixed 8 data points in a house. One cable was not punched down properly and it picked it up.

Work has a proper tester for the big jobs.

Reply to
ARW