Cheap Cardboard shredder

I rinse out the milk bottles at the end of the wash and while still warm wring them out by twisting the ends. They rapidly cool and stay very compact without need to replace the cap.

Oddly different suppliers round here use two different plastics for the caps - one acceptable and the other not. They also manage to emboss the plactic type in 0.5 point font and I don't have an electron microscope to hand.

With the push to recycle and with local authorities taking only certain types, why is it not mandatory to show the symbol on all plastics and preferably in a size that most people can easily see. Lidl are quite good (are German rules tighter?) and Tesco are particulary bad at marking packaging.

If we could get consistent acceptance of plastics across authorities, then it should be an offence/attract a tax to sell products in plastic that is not acceptable for recycling. We could also put refundable 5p on ALL drinks containers, so the kids would not only leave less litter, but clean up other peoples (or doesn't 5p mean anything these days?)

Reply to
peteshew

machine reading seems key to this - i.e. plastics need barcodes (or simlar) on them that recycling machinery could scan and determine what if anything to do with it. needn't be complex theres' only X types of plastics, Y metals etc used in retail packaging shurely?

if you made some "collectable" s**te from 2pence worth of recycled plastic the youth would be rather more interested - especially if said plastic s**te "normally" sells for a =A31 and is thus "worthy" of their attention.....or is that me being cynical again...mmmm.... still their loss;>)

cheers Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

Perhaps a rather cruder compactor could help, like one of these:

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

to do this are quite expensive. I created my own and it works quite well. Have a look:

cardboard to worm casting is a great form of recycling.

Reply to
Mark Ferguson

Clean efficient and labour saving. I bet it is quiet too.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

;-)

Chris