Charging battery in situ

The boss in local battery centre says it's ok to connect neg charger lead to neg terminal on battery.
However, car's user manual suggests connecting to somewhere on the chassis. This can be a pain, getting a good connection. Any thoughts TIA.

I've always done the former, except where the battery is inaccessible, then the latter. IMNHO, it makes little or no difference.
--
Today is Pungenday, the 36th day of The Aftermath in the YOLD 3182
I don't have an attitude problem.
Huge wrote:

With mine the battery is in the boot under the spare tyre, so for jump starting they provide a +ve terminal behind a flap under the bonnet, there is also an arrow pointing at a nearby bolt in the chassis for the -ve.

Audi? My RS3 was like that.
--
Today is Pungenday, the 36th day of The Aftermath in the YOLD 3182
I don't have an attitude problem.
Huge wrote:

Yes, and re: the lidaldi jump pack thread, it's rated 100Ah 900CCA.

What car is that ?
On 24/11/2016 14:26, Huge wrote:

Chassis or terminal .. makes no diff as long as car is -ve earth
I like to keep my boat batteries on trickle charge .. I made up a lead to connect via 'cigarette socket' ... works fine

Don't think earthing polarity has anything to do with. If you make a spark near a charging battery you risk igniting the hydrogen. Considerably less risk with "sealed" batteries admittedly.
Tim
--
Please don't feed the trolls

"rick" wrote in message
On 24/11/2016 14:26, Huge wrote:

I use one of those Aldi/Lidl chargers mentioned by this group last year. It goes into 'maintenance cycle' after initial boost.
It's also used on my 85ah battery, which powers one of those Bison electric outboard motors and lasts about 45 mins. I was surprised to find that the Yaris battery is a mere 45ah.

I built one in to the old Rover. In the spare wheel well. With a waterproof mains plug under the bumper. Only slight snag is you have to press the button on it to set it to charge after powering up.
--
*You can't have everything, where would you put it?*

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message wrote:

OT but one of the main differences beween the Lidl and Aldi models were the displays (LCD vs LED)
I assume my Aldi XS model is LED, yes? :-
http://www.mycaravan.org.uk/Images/Barcelona%202012/Battery/D.jpg
Lidl Ultimate
http://autoshite.com/uploads/monthly_01_2015/post-5223-0-18035000-1421091541.jpg
On 25/11/2016 09:21, Bertie Doe wrote:

no that is a liquid crystal display. LED shines.
"MrCheerful" wrote in message
On 25/11/2016 09:21, Bertie Doe wrote:

Ah thanks for that MC. So the 'backlit' lidl Ultimate is LED.
On 25/11/2016 10:02, Bertie Doe wrote:

No, that is just an LCD with a backlight, the backlight is very likely an LED.

I dunno the current ones. My Lidl one just has LED indicators. Which for my application is better - as you'd not be able to read LCD.
--
*Learn from your parents' mistakes - use birth control.

On 24/11/2016 13:59, Bertie Doe wrote:

assuming it is a normal car then connecting direct to the battery will be ok. the only good reason to make a remote connection is if you make the remote connection last to connect and first to disconnect, this way any possible spark as you connect/disconnect will be remote from the battery which may have given off some flammable fumes.
Modern chargers do not usually make any sparks upon connection in any case. It is still good practise to turn off the charger before disconnecting.
I don't see the reason for using the chassis unless testing the earth, but you don't need a charger for that!
I actually built a charger many moons back and believe me its better on the battery. Brian
--
----- -
On Thursday, 24 November 2016 16:22:57 UTC, Brian Gaff wrote:

I persume the idea is to reduce current if anything shorts, thus avoiding fire.
NT

wrote in message

Thanks all, good news indeed, consensus is that battery dealer is correct and is ok to connect direct to -ve terminal. Perhaps Toyota are covering their asses.

Doesn’t explain why all car user manuals don’t say that.