Changing a car battery

Matty F wrote:

Matty,
what make of car?
My Toyota and my wife's Suzuki didn't turn a hair when I disconnected the old battery and put a new one in. No funny codes, no retuning, just reconnect and go.
Andy

It's a Jaguar. But my Mazda loses everything when I disconnect the battery, and ditto for all other cars I've owned. I'm not happy using the cigarette lighter socket for anything important. I've had the plug move or come unplugged at the wrong moment. My jumper leads with alligator clips don't come undone!

I reckon the odds of your various cables and multiple batteries giving you grief/shorts/disconnects aka "problems" would far outweigh the risk of a cigarette lighter adaptor plug suddenly loosening itself whilst unattended at the other end of the Jag....
Cheers JimK

I will consider the cigarette lighter approach next time. The three battery technique could go wrong, although I'm used to dealing with large currents (up to 5000 amps even!). I happened to have a spare battery and no cigarette lighter plug. It was nice to not have to reset 27 radio stations and the radio code and the clock.

Since the start of this century most Peugeots, and I assume other makes, have had no need of codes because the radio is paired to the onboard computer. You still lose your tuning settings though. The handbook ought to tell you if yours requires a code.
Second point - I saw, a while back, a cable for sale with a cigarette lighter style plug at each end for exactly this purpose. You abviously need to ensure that your lighter does not power down with the ignition though. And don't try it with an older car with positive earth connections.
--
Tinkerer

On Sun, 30 May 2010 11:40:57 +0100, "Tinkerer"

Halfords sell a little gadget just for this very purpose.
"Computer Memory Saver" from Draper, Type CMS1. It plugs into the cigarette lighter socket. I have one myself, and it works fine.
David

This is a text only newsgroup
don't post pictures, include a link instead
--
geoff

Now how is it when I unplug any PC here it somehow remembers its BOIS memory?..
And they cannot get a car to do this?...
Boggle;!...
--
Tony Sayer

The usual problems are restricted to the car radio which looses its station memory or and needs re-coding.
Most car radios cost the makers pennies - hence no DAB etc.
My DAB Blaupunkt uses a special SD card for security coding. If you power it down totally, that has to be inserted to make it work again, but it retains all your settings. Once activated you remove that special card and replace it with an ordinary one if you wish to record off the radio, etc.
--
*If a pig loses its voice, is it disgruntled?

Lets not start that now shall we;!..

I wonder why they bother with it all in modern radios where they are part of the car now, lest the ones I've seen are unlike the standard DIN slot type which are more "pinch-able"..
--
Tony Sayer

Sadly it's a fact. I'm told 10 dollars is the average cost. So adding a memory back up system could cost quite a bit given the numbers produced. Of course if customers rebelled over having to re-set the radio each time the battery went flat or whatever, the makers might do something. A bit like fitting DAB. ;-) But obviously everyone is perfectly happy...

The Blaupunkt I'm referring to is an aftermarket one. The one in my other car which is definitely fitted to it - it has a double height faceplate - has no coding. But still looses the station memory if powered down totally.
--
*Just remember...if the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off*

So how come my umpteen year Old Sony can manage OK if un-powered for a while?..

--
Tony Sayer

On Mon, 31 May 2010 11:21:51 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Many engine management ECUs lose important information when powered down - indeed even basic systems often have a recommended sequence for the driver to use after doing so ... usually consisting of allowing the engine to idle for a set time, then holding a set number of revs for further periods, etc. Most *will* re-learn the peculiarities of the engine with normal driving though. I have however heard that one manufacturer's ECUs (I can't remember which) has only limited functionality after reconnecting and must be reset by a dealer before returning to normal.
SteveW

I was in the garage of a large Taxi company near here a few weeks ago and the chief mech there was muttering about the need for yet another PC with all the right software thereon.
Meanwhile another poor cabbie came in to be told that the ECU on his car was naff and thats going to cost him the best part of a grand plus a bit more for programming something that only the dealer could do;!..
Suppose thats progress!...
--
Tony Sayer

Read an article some time back by a firm who repairs them on exchange, and they reckoned only about half of the ones they get are actually faulty.
--
*Why isn't 11 pronounced onety one? *

mmmm nice business for somebody...wonder who pays...
Jim K
In article

If you order up an exchange unit from them, they won't accept it back for a refund unless of course that is found to be faulty. They will however test your own unit for a fee. But since the customer is paying most garages simply fit an exchange unit and get the customer to pay up - even if it wasn't faulty.
--
*When companies ship Styrofoam, what do they pack it in? *

I don't see why computers in cars have to be so expensive. Surely the chip costs only a few dollars to make. But mine appears to be controlling the spark plugs and fuel injection etc, i.e. 1000 or more operations per second. A piece of cake for a computer I would have thought.
In article

I have a MegaSquirt on one car which is an aftermarket ECU which you can buy either ready made or as a self assembly kit. As a kit it costs about 250 US dollars - little more than the retail cost of the bits. So yes, a factory made unit churned out by the thousands shouldn't cost more than the average laptop. But then car makers are notorious for excessive markup on spares.
It's more than just a micro processor, though. That has to have an interface to drive the injectors and coils, etc. Which require high power devices.
--
*Save a tree, eat a beaver*

In message

Of course they DON'T
they are because they CAN
There isn't the competition
They have you by the bollocks - same as central heating pcbs

--
geoff