CH drain down, frequency

Hi, I drained my central heating system down three weeks ago to fit two new radiators. Water that came out was quite dirty, house is ten years old and I know the previous owner must have done a few drain downs because there are new towel rads in the bathroom and en suite. Amway, I filled back up and added flush fluid - fernox. It says on the container "some central heating systems may need a prolonged circulation - up to four weeks". Well, I am fitting another rad in a couple of weeks. So I am going to drain down again. My question is, will a few of these fill ups, drain downs do any good? Or is filling up adding oxygen to the system all the time? I do not have a power flush.

Next time I fill up should be the last hopefully. What should I add to the system when I fill up? Inhibitor of course but what about silencer? I Sometimes get some considerable gurgling around the pump/hot water tank (the IMI tribune Premier I mentioned in a previous post). Should I add some more flush fluid too? I have read somewhere that leaving some of this in the system will not do any harm and may help to keep sludge from forming?

Thanks, Steve

Reply to
Keyser Sose

On Sun, 17 Dec 2006 15:39:58 -0000 someone who may be "Keyser Sose" wrote this:-

No, the fewer the better.

When one is unavoidable the proper chemicals should be added when the system is refilled. What combination is necessary depends to some extent on the state of the system.

If it is intended to drain down in a month or two then there is little point in adding the chemicals, though it won't do any harm and costs relatively little.

It is often possible to just drain down partially. That keeps some of the original chemicals in the system, though they will be diluted when the system is filled.

Reply to
David Hansen

RIP as in Routed Internet Protocol? We use AES 256 encryption minimum and ensure the SA lifetime is no more than a gig, not the dfeault 24 hours. Steve

Reply to
Keyser Sose

On Sun, 17 Dec 2006 16:04:54 -0000 someone who may be "Keyser Sose" wrote this:-

No.

I did provide a link to the offending legislation.

Reply to
David Hansen

Thanks mate - I'll take a look at it. Steve

Reply to
Keyser Sose