CH Boiler Wiring

My Potterton CH boiler is wired up from a spur to the programmer with 2.5 T+E to the boiler and 1.5 T+E to the pump. I am fitting a replacement timer ( Danfoss 102) .It says to connect it from either an unswitched socket or a DP switch outlet with neon. I was intending to use 2.5 T+E to the DP outlet but is it ok to use suitably rated flex for the other (boiler and pump) connections as it is easier to manipulate .? Stuart

Shift THELEVER to reply.

Reply to
Stuart

Sure, you can use 1.5 mm or 2.5 mm csa' flex OK, but if it is passing any hot spots en route, then get heat resistant stuff.

Reply to
BigWallop

I hope your existing set up uses a "fused" connection unit (spur) The "standard" supply to a domestic boiler/heating control system is via a 3 Ampere fuse so 2.5 is vastly overrated. A heat resistant (100C) flex is good practice in case it rests against a hot pipe or similar. Offhand I can't think of any commonly sold sheathed mains flex with a rating less than 3A but I'd suggest something around 0.5 or 0.75mm which as you say is easier to manipulate. A word of advice - I think the 102 is a single zone timer. If you are controlling heating and hot water the current spec is for independant time and temperature control to both zones thus you should have a modern two channel programmer. Perhaps you are simply doing a like for like maintenance swap?

Reply to
John

I'd go further than that and say forget the mains driven Danfoss 102. Its dated technology. Replace it with one of the modern battery powered programmers

Reply to
OldBill

It was wired up via a junction box spurred from an adjacent socket so I have replaced that with an unswitched socket /plug ( 3 amp fused) as per the leaflet instructions until I get a fsu

Yeah .simpler the better .I just switch HW or CH+HW on as required .The previous Towerchron timer was a simple one as well. thx for help Stuart

Shift THELEVER to reply.

Reply to
Stuart

It was bought cheaply off Ebay so it will do for now . Stuart

Shift THELEVER to reply.

Reply to
Stuart