Central heating pump size

Hello all,

I have recently added a further 3 radiators and an additional 14m approximately of pipework to incorporate an extension.

I have been to a site where it indicates the flow required and the BTU that the pipe size can manage etc but there was no indication of the pump requirements. Apart from a "suck it and see" scenario is there anyway of calculating the pump specifications? How do builders determine the correct size pump for a new installation?

Mark

Reply to
Mark

Yes. You calculate the required flow rate from the heat loss calculations. You then calculate the frictional losses in the pipe work along the index circuit (usually furthest rad fom the pump) from the required flow rates, the pipe diameters, the pipe lengths, the number of fittings, etc.. It's fairly tedious number-crunching.

They put in a UPS 15-50 Selectric. If that doesn't work properly, they put in a 15-60 Super Selectric.

Reply to
Aidan

See Appendix H of this:

gives data on pressure losses per m for pipes and the equivalent length of fittings.

Reply to
Aidan