cement morter pointing gun

Does anyone know of a decent cement pointing gun - not the screwfix/axminster one. Is there a better quality one around that does not eventually jam solid. Thanks

Reply to
technical123

I thought jamming was inevtable with sand mixes.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

I doubt it, for the same reason that the sea doesn't wash the beach away. Unless the materials dissolve in water I don't think you'll get them through any gun

Reply to
Stuart Noble

The sea does not dissolve silica sand to any large extent, but it most surely can wash it away. This is compensated for by erosion of cliffs containing sand (ever wondered why chalk cliffs rarely have beaches?) and this concept is known as a beach budget. The best example I can think of is the Isle of Wight which is losing about a metre a year from its southern cliffs. In about 70,000 years it will be no longer. Several times beach defences have had the paradoxical effect of drastically reducing the size of beach by preventing erosion of the cliffs but leaving sand transportation unaffected. There is at least one beach on the East coast employing a full-time muckshifting set-up to compensate for longshore drift due to coastal defences. They take all the sand that has drifted down to one end back to the other on a daily basis. An expensive way to delay the inevitable.

John Schmitt

Reply to
John Schmitt

The screwfix one comes with a long list of instructions, most notably the need for a fine sand. We have had no problems with a fine sand, mixed with cement, lime & plasticiser - but its useless with the washed sand we really want to use.

Rick

Reply to
Rick

I've never had a problem with mine jamming when using soft washed sand, provided I also used plasticiser.

Reply to
Mr Fuxit

There is another gun manufactured by Durgun (try QVC shopping channel but i think that they are all the same, try using a good qualit building sand and plastiser, once you do feel any resistance stop an empty the gun because if you continue you will compress the mix eve more in the gun possibly damaging the gun. Hope this help

-- brickie123

Reply to
brickie123