Cement Mixer Electric Motor Problem

I haven't use my pedestal type mixer for a few years. I lent it to a friend who says it runs for a few seconds then conks out. I am hopeless with electric motors so tend to chuck the device rather than try to repair it. What is likely to be wrong such that it runs but only for a few seconds and is a worthwhile repair possible on a cheap mixer that had paid for itself a few times over?

Kevin

Reply to
Kev

Could it be the switch? sometimes mine (a 3rd hand ebay electric special) doesnt stay in properly so cuts out just after you let go.

Reply to
Tom Woods

In message , Kev writes

If it consistently runs for a few seconds then conks then the motor may be overheating for some reason. The bearings or drive might have gunked up with cement or rust.

If it's paid it's way it might be worth just getting a new one.

Reply to
Clive Mitchell

was in my extension lead! There was no earth as the wire had come adrift in the plug - worth a look..........

Reply to
Vic

In message , Vic writes

That shouldn't make the unit cut out, but it could lead to getting leakage shocks off the metalwork.

Reply to
Clive Mitchell